Changing own tyres

banoffee

Am thinking of investing in a bead breaker, balancer etc. Big investment but thinking should last for years and eventually pay for itself in convenience, saved trips to tyre places, being able to be really bloody careful with my own shiny wheels and cheap part worns etc.

Abba stuff looks good (their stands seem very well made) - any experiences or alternatives?

Doesnt need to cost much Steve, I got all my stuff for about £70, bead breaker from ebay a german seller, but it is the same as the Bikeit one just cheaper. Big fuck off leavers and some tyre soap. Oh and some rim protectors job jobbed.

I quite enjoy doing it but the NC30 rear is a pain to keep still on the breaker.

I would get a shit wheel to learn on thoughm I did scuff the rim on the very first on I did.

Maybe a bit of masking tape on the lip of the rim will help prevent chips?

i also used fairy liquid instead of tyre soap , worked a treat , but i gave up when i realised the valve was knackered and couldn't be arsed to try and get the tyre off again ;)

Its easy or difficult depending on the tyre, most seem to be going with the firmer tyre wall lately but michelins used to almost fall on a rim. Its easy to rip the bead if you get a bit rough with it. Those plastic rim protectors have an annoying habit of disappearing into the wheel once you've got the tyre on.

Just a word of warning, I realise that the vast majority of wheels are alloy nowadays and all that but if you use washing up liquid to seat the tyres onto a steel rim they cause corrosion at a most alarming rate, ask me how I know...

Its easy or difficult depending on the tyre, most seem to be going with the firmer tyre wall lately but michelins used to almost fall on a rim. Its easy to rip the bead if you get a bit rough with it. Those plastic rim protectors have an annoying habit of disappearing into the wheel once you've got the tyre on.

It isn't difficult but there are tons of little things you can get wrong. Stuff like putting the tyre on the wrong way round, with the spot not aligned with the valve, all sorts of daft things.

Put cable ties on your rim protectors so you can stop them disappearing and invest in a big, fat tub of proper tyre soap. You just can't use too much of this stuff! ...It helps get the tyre on/off and helps the tyre hold air while you are pumping it up to seat the bead. You want to do this using as little pressure as possible to avoid stressing the caracass.

To get the tyre off after the bead is broken, I get blocks of wood and kneel on the tyre so that it is trapped between my knees and the blocks. This helps the tyre drop into the well so that it is easier to pull off the rim on the other side of the wheel....

I notice Bikit do a bead compressing tool now. That might eliminate the need to kneel on the tyre.

Archived