Sorting out electrics.....

zigzag

Hi folks,

last weekend me and a mate removed several meters of wiring from my 1991 Honda VFR to simplify the electrics for track use (one on/off switch and a starterbutton) and ran into a little but important detail.

Since we took off the original killswitch, sidestand (incl. killswitch) and clutchlever switch we are left with a thing called (according to my Haynes manual) "diode". Three wires go into what looks like a connector female and is capped (and bridged?) by a black thingy that has "0.5" written on it.

Now if we start the engine it fires up and runs fine until we engage 1st gear. Then the ignition cuts off.

Now I checked the wiring diagram and it tells me that one (lightgreen) wire comes from (goes to) the neutral switch and has a direct connection to the ECU, one (darkgreen-red) comes from the starter relay and WAS connected to the clutch switch and the last one (lightgreen-red) connects the neutral signal light in the dash.

I think the answer to our problem with the ignition cutting off when a gear is selected lies in the combination of those three wires or the "diode" that connects them.

Can somebody please shed light on this matter?

Thanks again in advance.........

Hi folks,

last weekend me and a mate removed several meters of wiring from my 1991 Honda VFR to simplify the electrics for track use (one on/off switch and a starterbutton) and ran into a little but important detail.

Since we took off the original killswitch, sidestand (incl. killswitch) and clutchlever switch we are left with a thing called (according to my Haynes manual) "diode". Three wires go into what looks like a connector female and is capped (and bridged?) by a black thingy that has "0.5" written on it.

Now if we start the engine it fires up and runs fine until we engage 1st gear. Then the ignition cuts off.

Now I checked the wiring diagram and it tells me that one (lightgreen) wire comes from (goes to) the neutral switch and has a direct connection to the ECU, one (darkgreen-red) comes from the starter relay and WAS connected to the clutch switch and the last one (lightgreen-red) connects the neutral signal light in the dash.

I think the answer to our problem with the ignition cutting off when a gear is selected lies in the combination of those three wires or the "diode" that connects them.

Can somebody please shed light on this matter?

Thanks again in advance.........

More to do with the sidestand switch. If you have removed this, then the bike will think that the stand is down all of the time, and when a gear is engaged the bike cuts out to stop you riding off with the stand down. link out the wires that went to the sidestand switch and Bob should be your uncle.

yeah, it sounds like you need to bridge the wires for the sideatand cut out, on the early exups it were dead easy cos the connectors were one male bullet, and one female bullet so once the switch was removed the loose ends on the loom just plugged together.

..or you could bridge the clutch switch?

Thanks guys, talked this through with krazyk from this here forum who lives nearby and he too suggests it´s the sidestandswitch. SO I´ll give that a try in a moment and report back how it went...

As always, top marks for fast and sound advice on here :eusa_whistle::getmecoat:

Honda usually use this setup on 90' bikes, on my NC30 I bypassed it by grounding a few wires, one coming out of the cdi and one of the signal wires for the starter relay. Take a look on the wiring diagram and trace back the wires from the sidestand, clutch switch, cdi and starter relay and you will see that all they do is leading to ground in different ways/phases.

Ronni

You all are correct, it´s just putting the sidestandkillswitchwire (scrabble anyone?) from the ECU to a good ground and everything works just fine!

:icon_salut:

zig

Archived