2001 ZX6R Gear Selection Issues

Callahan

My mate's ZX6R has started playing up on him and it's his only means of conveyance!

The Bike isn't letting him select gears properly; particularly when coming down the box. My first thought was one of doom and that the selector or dogs were lunched but there is a ray of hope. The problem only occurs when the Bike is cold. Once he's done a few miles it goes up and down the box no problem which makes me, ever the optimist, think it might just be the clutch/oil/something similarly easy?

I call on your collective wisdom! Please don't tell me we have to split the cases etc!

It sounds silly, but has he overfilled the bike with oil? I once rode a mtes bike that had too much oil in it, and it was a pig to change gears. Drained a bit of it out, and it was fine again.

It sounds silly, but has he overfilled the bike with oil? I once rode a mtes bike that had too much oil in it, and it was a pig to change gears. Drained a bit of it out, and it was fine again.

Nah, the level's o.k. Think it might be fucked though! I think we'll change it as a starting point.

could be your gear lever needs a clean. zx9r's use the same footrests and suffer the same problems

theres a guide on what to do here -

http://www.zx-9r.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22019

Thanks for that link Chance. I looked at the thread and one of the dudes on that forum describes almost exactly the same problem my mate's having. We'll have a go at it tonight!

Thanks for that link Chance. I looked at the thread and one of the dudes on that forum describes almost exactly the same problem my mate's having. We'll have a go at it tonight!

no probs, i'll put good money on that being all the problem is.

ive owned a couples of zx6r and a zx9r and it is a job that needs doing fairly often if you tend to ride it poor weather, but even if the bike is a dry sunny day only bike i would still do it at least once a year. as said in the link it only takes a few minutes and can save you from potentially very expensive gearbox repair bills

Had the same problemon a ZX-6R A1P, guarantee that's more than likely it!

A

Seems like the consensus is that it's crudded (technical term) controls. We'll try it after tea and I'll report back my findings!

Edit for Syntax!

Seems like the consensus is that it's crudded (technical term) controls. We'll try it after tea and I'll report back my findings!

Edit for Syntax!

Sticking gear levers are common , disconnect it from the engine end ( the warm bit ) and check how free it moves

Another success for the PB Forum guys! Thanks to Chance especially for getting back to me so quickly.

Mate had it up on the Paddock stand when I got there and when I went up through the gears with my hand it worked no problem, it was only when he had his weight on the peg it was a problem. Stripped, cleaned, packed with grease, rebuilt, nipped up properly, slack taken out of linkage and it's like a new Bike!

Another satisfied forum member! Next we tackle our shared, tired, ZXR750; more on that soon under "Projects".

Thanks again all,

Jonny

I think there's a bloke on the ZX9 forum who's fitted a grease nipple ot the gearchange pivot - looks an easy job, but then so is just taking it apart , cleaning and lubing it.

Score mate!

I remember the particular relief I felt on this fix too - not a fucked gearbox, just a dirty lever.

That sounds a bit rude.

A

Archived