what is involved in turbo'ing a cbr600f?

kaighn80

like it says its an 89 cbr600f with carbs what do i need to do im thinking of using a small turbo and leaving the compression alone i dont want a lot of boost at the moment but it needs to be quicker how do i stop boost getting into the carbs where its not wanted?

Other than picking the experts brains (TTS,Big cc) its a case of trial and error.A few psi might not escape through the spindles,breathers etc.I ve just turbo`d a triumph speed triple,but its fuel injected.The thing thats holding me back now is i need bigger injectors.Its worth the hassle though,as turbo bikes ROCK!!!

what i meant was i dont want the turbo pressurising the fuel side of the carbs does anyone know of a way of sealing that part off or have i got to run with low boost like 3-5psi?

Aaaah I'm with you now, sorry fella. In that case it might be simpler(read cheaper) to run a suck through system with a huge single carb (S&S?) upstream of the turbo?

Rich.

ok if thats the case i have a metro turbo blow through carb thats 1.75" inturnal bore that i could use but i didn't want to have to fark around with needles for it as its a bit oldy worldy i think its a factory modded hif44 but i'll check with the manual when im at the workshop tommorrow. do you think that it will flow enough air?

If you're running a blow through system, which I'd guess you would be, you'll have 2 problems, each will follow the other: You'll need to apply the same pressure to the float bowls as you've got on your inlet, keep the pressure balanced. The second thing that you'll then find is that if you're running much pressure at all your carbs will crack a few months down the line as they're designed for lightness rather than being able to hold compressed air.

A feller called Lump (Eric, you still out there on the ether?) that used to be on a forum I frequented tried it on his old CBR rat bike and had these problems . The few months in between were fun though, by all accounts.

His Mrs had small hands, I think that was it. Other memorable moments involved riding back from Scarborough to London with a broken collarbone and the most ridiculous of all, me at 6'4", him at 6'2" both riding about london on his CBR400. That poor, poor bike...

Anyway, he turbo'd a CBR6.

You could built a box to enclose the carbs, but you will then have to figure out how to get the throttle cable and fuel supply into it without unsealing it.

ok so am i right in thinking that if my fuel is at 5psi i can run up to 5psi boost im going slightly over what i expect to make as i still want the bike to be ridable. if thats the case then its not as hard as i thought it would be.

Turboing and carbs can work, but it's a black art...the masters of which don't tend to pass around the help, probably because there arn't enough loopy people to ask them.

Your fuel pressure wants to be 1 or 2 psi above boost...welcome to a world of pitot pressure.

Turboing and carbs can work, but it's a black art...the masters of which don't tend to pass around the help, probably because there arn't enough loopy people to ask them.

Your fuel pressure wants to be 1 or 2 psi above boost...welcome to a world of pitot pressure.

cool thats fine!! ive got my turbo off my brothers mitsubishi gto (he dont know yet!!) i think it will be good for 4psi without any problems, im in the middle of buying a fuel pump and pressure regulator fuel pump has a cut off when it reaches a preset pressure and i have a few ideas about reinforcing the carbs but i think that 5 or 6 psi of fuel pressure will be fine if not then theres plenty of spares out there. might even fit one to the mito625 if this goes well.

cool thats fine!! ive got my turbo off my brothers mitsubishi gto (he dont know yet!!) i think it will be good for 4psi without any problems, im in the middle of buying a fuel pump and pressure regulator fuel pump has a cut off when it reaches a preset pressure and i have a few ideas about reinforcing the carbs but i think that 5 or 6 psi of fuel pressure will be fine if not then theres plenty of spares out there. might even fit one to the mito625 if this goes well.

Make sure the fuel pressure regulator is rising rate -there is no point having it at 6psi constantly.

Archived