carb cleaning fluid??

xjrsommsi

hello lads and ladies...

as i´ve mentioned in my cbx thread, i need to clean/service my carbs. they´re already removed and i´d need a tip with which fluid/solvent i can really clean all the jets/needles, floaters and so on. i´ve tried many things so far:

- petrol

- fuel system carb cleaner

- white spirit

- jet A1 (jet engine stuff...)

- nitro

- trichlore

and so on....

but that seized sediments (the stuff, that remains in the carbs when the fuel is vaporized) are still sticking on the needles and in the bores/wholes.

any ideas, please????

cheers

fred

I've used cellulose thinners on brass jets and needles before. Give them a soak overnight and clean up with an old toothbrush. Don't be tempted to poke things in jet holes (you can damage the bores), blow them out with compressed air. Oh, and don't soak plastic floats in it either. They will melt.

:eusa_whistle:

If this doesn't work, you may have to get them ultrasonically cleaned.

Whilst £30 a good price, I would question how well it cleans out the internal passageways of the carbs...compressed air would be my choice.

But ultrasonic would make them look clean.

I was speaking to trigger about these a bit back, and he recons that although they'll get rid of dirt pretty well, there's still plenty of other stuff that it doesn't shift and there's no substitute for a good bit of cleaning solvent and a toothbrush etc

Cleaning externally first (carb cleaner), taking apart and cleaning with compressed air and carb cleaner does the trick for me. Nasty stuff if you get it on your hands though.

Thinners, toothbrush and bowl then sit back after 30 mins of cleaning and wonder why garage is spinning soo much :icon_salut:

Cleaning externally first (carb cleaner), taking apart and cleaning with compressed air and carb cleaner does the trick for me. Nasty stuff if you get it on your hands though.

Stings like fuck if you get it in your eyes too!! Wear goggles.

Citric acid also brill for desolving rust.

Fill a washing up bowl with coca cola and sit the carbs in there over night.

Rinse out with water and blow clean with compressed air.

Yes, really.

Fill a washing up bowl with coca cola and sit the carbs in there over night.

Rinse out with water and blow clean with compressed air.

Yes, really.

+1 I used to coke on my nuts screws once.

Cleaned em quite nicely... Perhaps it does the same to your insides? Gives em' a good clean? while rotting your teeth? :huh:

Cola also strips chrome from plastic. Better than oven cleaner. Which is really nasty stuff. :huh:

Sort of following on from the 'Poor mans parts washer' thread... try gently simmering cruddy cast aluminium parts in lemon juice for a while.

Win :ph34r:

Nail Polish remover ain't back either. Dirt Cheap from those £1 shops.

Thats because it's basically acetone. But acetone also eats plastic and rubber...be fucking quick if using that!

I find petrol a no-no because of both the risk of explosion, and also the health implications. Parrafin is much better to use.

I have found over the years, that carb cleaner leaves a chalky residue of it's own, and can put you right back where you started. Brake cleaner is a much better and more universal solvent. It cleans carbs without any residue, it removes tankpad gunk, it degreases and apparently it's good on brakes.

But dont spray it on a hot exhaust and breath the fumes ! This gives off a very toxic gas that can do instant irreversable damage to your sinus, eyes, lungs, brain, and taste buds! or so I've been led to believe. I use it all the time at work, but I don't fuck with it either. :eusa_whistle:

I have found over the years, that carb cleaner leaves a chalky residue of it's own, and can put you right back where you started. Brake cleaner is a much better and more universal solvent. It cleans carbs without any residue, it removes tankpad gunk, it degreases and apparently it's good on brakes.

But dont spray it on a hot exhaust and breath the fumes ! This gives off a very toxic gas that can do instant irreversable damage to your sinus, eyes, lungs, brain, and taste buds! or so I've been led to believe. I use it all the time at work, but I don't fuck with it either. :icon_blackeye:

Contact cleaner is the same stuff.

And don't use it to clean anything you want to weld for the same safety reasons.

We clean EVERYTHING with petrol! wheels, exhausts, anything metal, and wipe down stubborn greasy stuff on plastic with it too.

Parrafin is cheaper and less risky on both fronts.

Parrafin is cheaper and less risky on both fronts.

But you don't get a tankful of parafin for free when you buy an old bike that'll probably want draining and a new fuel filter putting on there anyway! Having said that, if petrol was so good at cleaning carbs, you wouldn't have to clean your carbs, would you.

Archived