Morepower required.

rndnick

Is PB Forum Morepower the same as R1-Forum's Morepower?

If so I thought I read somewhere you can fit later model shocks to the earlier model R1? I have a 5JJ that I want to replace the shock on and was wondering if an 08 or similar woudl fit?

Thanks.

04 shock fits on no problem took about 30 mins to do

iirc the resovior just touches the swing arm on full compression if 2 up

hth

Indeed it does, thanks. :D

Indeed it does, thanks. :eusa_think:

Hi.....Sorry... Been busy again working on the bloody Icon bike...

The 07 shock does hit but I have put a small dint in the top of the swing arm brace using a rounded end on an old clip on handle bar. OK bit extreme but doesn't look obvious and now the bike works a lot better. Before I had to sit mid corner and wait until the bike was starting to exit before I could get on the gas. But now the bike doesn't have the same wallow it had and feels a lot more secure so you can get on the gas earlier and run more corner speed, which was not good before. If you are willing to put the dent in the top of the swing arm brace it is a really good and cheap mod.... Also the spring is a lot firmer and rated about the same as the springs most of the racers used to use anyway.

The 07 shock does hit but I have put a small dint in the top of the swing arm brace using a rounded end on an old clip on handle bar.

It's these sort of highly technical engineering solutions that make P3 the highly sought after company it is!

<_<

-John

It's these sort of highly technical engineering solutions that make P3 the highly sought after company it is!

:D

-John

Indeed. I don't know why the guys at Yamaha didn't come up with this either - I pity the fools!

Nick - why not get your OE shock rebuilt / re-sprung? Or get an aftermarket one? Either of these would be my preference over fitting a shock that requires a dint in the swingarm.

BTW is a dint a small dent?

why not get your OE shock rebuilt / re-sprung? Or get an aftermarket one?

On my Shock the spring has rusted, so needs replacing or powder coating, then by the time I pay to get it rebuilt I could save £'s by buying a late model shock with low miles on that will be just as good.

Aftermarket shock: Just plain too expensive.

ok... Dent..... It may sound like a bodge.... But the after building fabricated swing arms for race bikes and the Odd GP bike it is not a big deal..... Also as the shock was £20.00 on eBay it was worth trying it to prove out a little plan.... Getting the brace altered properly is going to cost me about £60.00 Gavin at GIA will make the change. It is close and only needs about 5-10mm more clearance... It works as well as almost any after market rear shock and for less than £100 including a shock with less than 200 miles on it.... I dont really care....

As for the bike building side If you saw some of the things done to get the £260,000 Icon bike built you would be shocked.... 99% of these "tweaks" were done by a respected race bike builder during the 2 years he was working on it before I got involved.....

:)

-John

Please dont let this put you off.....

goodwood2big.jpg

goodwood4big.jpg

I can build stuff that looks better than this..... lol

Well, '08 R1 Shock bought from Ebay has arrived, grand sum of £42. Looks brand new, will be fitting tonight so little ridde tomorrow to see if and difference can be noticed.

Well, '08 R1 Shock bought from Ebay has arrived, grand sum of £42. Looks brand new, will be fitting tonight so little ridde tomorrow to see if and difference can be noticed.

Have you tried it yet?????

Seriously...I don't want to sound overly critical or harsh after all the effort you must have put n, but that thing is seriously fugly.

Even if I was a multi-millionaire I still would be weeping if all I had to show for a quarter of a million was that yoke.

I have to say I picked up the bike quite late in the build and most of the money had been spent so it was a shock to me too..

The work I have done has almost nothing to do with the asthetics.. OK I have made sure the bolts all LOOK nice and have tried to keep the look of the parts how the customer wanted.. I think I could build the same spec bike with all the same parts but look how I like for about £60,000... The spec is fucking high... Motec with traction control enabled and loads of other stuff as well as a full aircraft spec loom at £10,000. Also the Gas charged forks at about £8000 and one off Fabtech parts. So he has used some of the best bits... But if I were to just make it work the same and use the same spec suspension I think it would cost about £40,000 to build not using the fabtech tank or swing arm and going with GIA for the frame, swing arm and tank.

• 4 weeks later...
Have you tried it yet?????

Indeed I have. Has been fitted now for nearly a month, with the old Avon ST tyres I had fitted I thought it was v.good. I have recently had some Maxxis Super's fitted and with these it feels a little too stiff, so last night I've made some adjustments to the shock & have backed off the rebound & compression a little to see what that feels like but have yet to ride anywhere other than my commute to work. Will update over the next few days after a few miles have been done with the adjustments.

Archived