Helicoil's

drunkn munky

Upon removing the calipers on my recently purchased NC30 i found one of the caliper mounting points on the fork had stripped its thread at some point and bodged up with a ton of threadlock!!

Ive tried re tapping the hole but its not taking, i dont want to drill out one size bigger as that will mean drilling the caliper and using over sized bolts so im thinking best option is to helicoil it. Question is it safe to use a helicoil for caliper mounting point? i know its a lot better than threadlock but still id rather be sure. And if so how do i fit the helicoil? drill out slightly bigger and insert the coil or just wind it in to the current hole?

Upon removing the calipers on my recently purchased NC30 i found one of the caliper mounting points on the fork had stripped its thread at some point and bodged up with a ton of threadlock!!

Hang on a minute... the fork shouldn't be threaded. Wires crossed?

Yep its the forks that have the thread, bolt bolts through the caliper to the fork mount hence a new caliper isnt gunna solve the problem.

Ive seen the kits with the bit, tap, tool etc, i think ill go for one of them rather than guess the drill/tap sizes needed.

Yup, NC30's have a tapped fork leg and a clearance hole in the caliper ( more Honda arse-about-facedness :icon_bounce: ).

A standard heli-coil is 1.5D in length, so for an 8mm thread, the insert in 12mm long :eusa_whistle:

They can be trimmed down in length, using a pair of side cutters, taking coils from the top.

HTH

Archived