Cylinder liners

Adam

just wondering if anyone out there has ever made there own cylinder liners. What grade of cast iron did you use, and where did you get it from. I'm after raw material rather than liner blanks. Thanks in advance.

I don't think it's cast iron !!!

Your looking at some form of carbon steel which is rolled to basic shape. There's probably a pleening process too, that will close up any voids.

You should be able to buy cylinder liners ... try somebody like TTS, Holeshot, or Big CC

i thought they were usually made from spheroidal grew cast iron?

I don't think it's cast iron !!!

Your looking at some form of carbon steel which is rolled to basic shape. There's probably a pleening process too, that will close up any voids.

You should be able to buy cylinder liners ... try somebody like TTS, Holeshot, or Big CC

make it from ally and plate it. Much better. Ask your piston/ring supplier what clearance to run and you should find that ally liners allow u to run much tighter which is better 4 blowby etc

yeah plated barrels would be the way but if my barrel and port design isn't right then it'll become an expensive deal to keep getting them plated. My kart engines always had cast iron liners and didn't suffer from any blowby problems.

make it from ally and plate it. Much better. Ask your piston/ring supplier what clearance to run and you should find that ally liners allow u to run much tighter which is better 4 blowby etc

If i can get hold of some suitable material in the right condition it'd be loads easier. I'd've thought someone out there would know!

Speak to either capricorn or westwood liners. Don't try and make your own its much easier to buy the blanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have to answer an assignment question on cylinder blocks, liners and crankshaft material spec and manufacture.

Here is one link I have found that may help

site

Material Standard IS 210, GG25, ASTM A48 but can be deviated according

to customer requirements.

Hardness : 210 – 275 BHN

Tensile: 25kgf/sq. mm

Graphite: Type A & B (D&E Random)

Flake size: 4-6

Free Ferrite: Less than 3%

Matrix: Fine Lamellar & Sorbitic Pearlite

Surface Roughness: Ra 0.4 to 0.8 micron Rz 4 to 7 micron Vo 0.16 to 0.45

More information.

it is evident that the liners are produced by a centrifugal casting

operation, and then heat treated. Machining operations are then performed on the liners, i.e.,

rough turning of outer diameter (OD), turning of external features to manufacturer specifications,

and rough boring of liner inner diameter (ID). Following the completion of the rough boring

operation, each liner is inspected, then an oil film is applied to prevent rusting, and finally the

liners are packaged and shipped to the engine manufacturer. It may be noted that once the liners

are received at engine manufacturer, the liners are inserted as cores in the block casting

operation. The engine manufacturer subsequently performs a finish ID boring operation, and a

honing operation on the cylinder (liner) wall surface.

Looks like you should buy the liners you need due to the complexity of manufacture, unless you have heat treating facilitys etc.

More information.

it is evident that the liners are produced by a centrifugal casting

operation, and then heat treated. Machining operations are then performed on the liners, i.e.,

rough turning of outer diameter (OD), turning of external features to manufacturer specifications,

and rough boring of liner inner diameter (ID). Following the completion of the rough boring

operation, each liner is inspected, then an oil film is applied to prevent rusting, and finally the

liners are packaged and shipped to the engine manufacturer. It may be noted that once the liners

are received at engine manufacturer, the liners are inserted as cores in the block casting

operation. The engine manufacturer subsequently performs a finish ID boring operation, and a

honing operation on the cylinder (liner) wall surface.

Looks like you should buy the liners you need due to the complexity of manufacture, unless you have heat treating facilitys etc.

try LA sleeve company in states they make liners for most make of engine bike car or boat!!! wiseco pistons also make sleave, i use liners in f1 boat engines and have to say best to buy from a company that has all ready done the devolpment and testing befor you buy!!!

all i know is that they use nikasil liners for the lambrettas - apparently its good stuff - not a scooter boy so i dont know much about the stuff!

Yup, and nikasil is used on ferkin loads of things, has been since the early 90's. Lambrettas originally had a cast iron liner I think, certainly vespas did originally.

Archived