99 600 SRAD knocking noise

YZ faybo

Dear All

Have been through pages of searches and cannot find an answer so thought would tap up your pool of knowledge.

My 99 600 has a knocking noise, I have ruled out the engine as it revs fine in nuetral and through all the gears not the CCT or valves.

At the moment I am thinking maybe gearbox, reason is whilst riding mainly in first at part throttle slowing down or just rolling along there is a constant knocking noise approx three a second. When you pull in the clutch the noise goes like magic so rulling out the chain or cush drives.

This has no affect on performance/gear changes whats so ever, are there known issues with starter motors/alternators? or any other moving parts common to the SRAD's one should be aware of?

Thanks

could be play in the clutch basket, I had a very similar problem on my ZX6R and it was the clutch basket. worth checking for the price of a clutch cover gasket.

Could be as simple as replacing the bearing, I had to put a 2nd hand basket in as mine still had play after I replaced the bearing.

can you feel a notchy vibe at certain revs on acceleration and deceleration?

Could be camchain tensioner, apparently there was a recall so see if thats been done. The one on my 00 Srad went at about 25000 and from what I can remember it wasnt a expensive job.

Thanks

The cam chain is fine as said in neutral or riding around and you pull the clutch in no noises all through the revs I know that SRAD's suffered from poor tensioners all through the model range and the best thing is to fit manual bolts instead of the auto system.

The clutch doesnt feel notchy at all the movement and action is very smooth I had a knackered basket on an old dry clutch 250 I once had and its not that kind of problem, I am hoping that is not a broken tooth on first gear. The knocking noise seems quite slow in compared to the speed that the clutch would be spinning maybe will have to get a gasket to check the main basket bearing though. Wasnt sure maybe if it was related to the starter not fully releasing, maybe the excuse I was looking for to fit a slippe clutchr :eusa_whistle:

Does it do it in all gears? Does the speed of the knocking relate to engine speed or road speed?

Archived