should i be slipping my clutch?

The_Doctor

ever since i got the Ducati i thought it needed a new clutch on it but its giving me conflicting feeling, last night may have given me the answer....

I was speaking to a car mechanic about the bike and i mentioned that the clutch was iffy, its fine when rolling on the power and for fast starts etc.. but when i slip it to get it out of a tight corner or clutch it to get the front wheel up is continues slipping and takes a moment to fully engage again. this is where he recoiled in horror....

he recons you should never slip a dry clutch, now this being my first dry clutched bike i wasnt aware of this and i tend to slip the clutch quite a lot, prob learned from riding and racing 2 strokes in my youth.

questions:

1. is my cluch on its way out with what i described or is this just a trait of a dry clutch?

2. should i stop slipping the clutch immediately?

:)

I have no idea, tbh, but can't see how you can ride and not slip the clutch on occasion. I mean, how does this car mechanic expect you to pull away from a standstill? :)

I have no idea, tbh, but can't see how you can ride and not slip the clutch on occasion. I mean, how does this car mechanic expect you to pull away from a standstill? :)

???? good point its impossible to get going without slipping it, im stumped too but it would explain the wierd way the clutch is fine at all other times but when i slip it it continues to spin.....if im not supposed to do it i mean

Archived