Banshee 535cc big bore kit with the RZ/RD bottom end.

fredie

Well we finally did it!!! After years of hearing 'Dont forget about the little RZ's, we finally built a custom aluminium twin spar frame for the RZ350/250 engines. Not only that, we designed a completely new bike using our new frame and our newly designed set of bodywork.. hence the Costin 535 was born!

This bike uses the popular Banshee 535cc big bore kit with the RZ/RD bottom end. We have designed this bike to be an everyday road useable and registerable motorcycle. It uses previously complied components such as Yamaha R6 suspension/wheels and brakes, Ducati 1098 headlight and 'E' marked indicators. See the parts list below for a full rundown of the Costin 535 components!!

Alternatively we can build you the same motorcycle with a standard RZ/RD motor or anyone of the Banshee big bore engine kits..

Or if you prefer, we can sell you just the frame with or without the bodywork for you to start your own build. You can purchase as much of the bike as you like..

These big bore engines use modern 2 stroke technology and the frame should be no different. Why house it in a compromised frame which was designed for another engine?? Our new 535 frame is purpose built for these engines!!!!

:angry: go go go aussies ;)

http://www.micoproducts.net/5352.htm

what about the exhausts? I can't see any from the pictures

[/quote" Almost finished!!!!! Just finalising the titanium exhaust layout... "

Would it actually be legal to road register in the UK/EU?

I know you can keep a reg number when changing certain components on bikes (like if you swap a motor from a 918 Fireblade into an FZR400 chassis, say) but in those circumstances both components have been previously homolgated.

With a 'new' bespoke frame would the vehicle then need to go through SVA? And if it did would it just get a 'Q' plate? And would it even make it through what with being a 'new' 535cc stroker?

If it can be sneaked under the radar and road registered then fantata and all that, but if it has to meet Euro 2/3 regs because its a whole new bike, thanks to that frame, then I can't see many being brought to Europe when you can merge two current bikes and keep it easily road registerable...

:getmecoat:

I think your corect wavydavy, here in Australia that will be classed as a 2010 model, therefore having to comply with 2010 standards.

Would it actually be legal to road register in the UK/EU?

I know you can keep a reg number when changing certain components on bikes (like if you swap a motor from a 918 Fireblade into an FZR400 chassis, say) but in those circumstances both components have been previously homolgated.

With a 'new' bespoke frame would the vehicle then need to go through SVA? And if it did would it just get a 'Q' plate? And would it even make it through what with being a 'new' 535cc stroker?

If it can be sneaked under the radar and road registered then fantata and all that, but if it has to meet Euro 2/3 regs because its a whole new bike, thanks to that frame, then I can't see many being brought to Europe when you can merge two current bikes and keep it easily road registerable...

:eusa_think:

I bet you could sneak it through as a basic build with enduro-height ground clearance and seat height* and take it from there ;)

* from the enduro exemption thing a few days ago.

In the uk you do what all the builders of spondon, Harris, NWS etc etc framed bikes do and stamp the donor bikes frame number on the new frame. Not 100% cosher but it works and as you own both old and new frames it's not ringing in the purest sense of the word.

I have not done this myself on several occasions, and when I didn't do it I didn't put the bike through several mot's without any trouble ;-)

this sounds like quite a good idea, but do they need to be in possession of the frame that the number has come from too? or can that be scrapped? i'm just imagining a shed full of frames that have had their frame numbers copied

Not that I would know anything at all about this but... I hear that the way to do it is to stamp up the new frame then polish the numbers off the old frame and either sell it as having no numbers or hack it up yourself and weigh it in as scrap

OK, I can see how that might be a way round it and if you have a sympathetic MoT tester then there are no problems.

But in the (highly unlikely) event of a proper inspection of the vehicle would not the DVLA records show up, say a "1983 Yamaha RD350LC" as being the correct frame? And so, in this highly unlikely event, let's say its even more highly unlikely as the person looking over the bike knows that an '83 350LC doesn't have an ally beam frame...

I presume that, in that case, you might have some explaining to do?

When I first raised this I was more thinking about the possibilities I had when the NS motor was due to go in the RVF chassis - from what I could ascertain, I could have chosen to retain either of the reg numbers as the bike would have been made up of enough significant parts of one or the other to make that OK.

If you get a new bespoke frame and register it with a standard Yamaha motor, suspension and wheels etc, would the standard motor and running gear qualify it for keeping the original reg? Then it is just a case of 'gradually' swapping all the other bits onto it (i.e. get the V5 and do it all the next day) and all stays legit as the frame number on the V5 would be, for example, "Harris20100406" or similar....? :thumbsup:

If you get a new bespoke frame and register it with a standard Yamaha motor, suspension and wheels etc, would the standard motor and running gear qualify it for keeping the original reg? Then it is just a case of 'gradually' swapping all the other bits onto it (i.e. get the V5 and do it all the next day) and all stays legit as the frame number on the V5 would be, for example, "Harris20100406" or similar....? :thumbsup:

Yes. And then no.

The requirements are so complicated, you get a different answer according to which local office you ask. I imagine it would be as difficult to sort as trying to buy the right 911.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived