Helicoiling a sump bolt hole

Gixxerthou

I've noticed my threads on the TL sump are looking a bit worn through many years of regular oil changes. I do have a helicoil kit but wondered if this was a wise thing to do.

The alternative is engine out and new engine case on, which I know through experience is a world of pain.

looking forward to your replies.

Cheers

Personally I would helicoil it.

I had a GSXR 750 a few years back and did one of the threads in the head for holding down a rocker (instead of fitting a new head) and its still going now.

Engine out and fitting new cases is a little extreme, provided you do the job properly with care you should have no trouble for years to come. IMHO.

GD

my sump plug was heli coiled probably 40,000 miles ago

20 oil changes later its still going strong!

my only thought ,is there different brand heli-coils ? in other words- the best u can afford?

:angry:

heli coils are shit,but i carnt remember wot you call these thing i think,its a squish thred,that is riveted in place,i use to do all my sprint two stokes with these as the thred is stronger than ali,and it never blew one out ,not even with 21 to 1 compresion,on methonol.1050 mail jets eny one,amil 40mm an a 240cc single.

The sump on my Falco was helicoiled after the first time I tried changing the oil myself (those sumps are made of fucking cheese). It was fine for the next 12,000 miles with the garage changing the oil every 4,000 miles and me doing it in between services.

Helicoiling it will be fine...using a Timsert would be better.

thats the thing i was trying to remember,bloody good things,id rather use these than a heli coil eny day.

Rog, if you don`t fancy doing it yourself we use a real good engineering type chap at work who sorts all our shit out. Drop us a pm if you want his number.

if your going to use a timesert be careful what length's you use , must Suzuki sump's are quite shallow ( like their owner's ? ) with a portion of the thread removed to allow good drainage , if you use a helicoil this cut out can make it a bit fiddly to get it in , take your time and feel what's going on and you'll be ok

if your going to use a timesert be careful what length's you use , must Suzuki sump's are quite shallow ( like their owner's ? ) with a portion of the thread removed to allow good drainage , if you use a helicoil this cut out can make it a bit fiddly to get it in , take your time and feel what's going on and you'll be ok

erm cheers...

I think :thumbsup:

I have timeserts in the eccentric adjusters on my JMC swingarm after the stock helicoils stripped on both sides. Fantastic things, much more solid than helis.

Archived