Torque Wrench

MarkB

Looking at buying a torque wrench. Possibly the Teng Tools wrench rated in recent PB mag.

Toolshack offer two prices, one for `calibrated on manufacture` and another `calibrated on despatch`.

Is there any advantage, and is it worth the extra money to buy one that has been `calibrated on despatch`?

Appreciate some advice - Thanks

Looking at buying a torque wrench. Possibly the Teng Tools wrench rated in recent PB mag.

Toolshack offer two prices, one for `calibrated on manufacture` and another `calibrated on despatch`.

Is there any advantage, and is it worth the extra money to buy one that has been `calibrated on despatch`?

Appreciate some advice - Thanks

Try checking Ebay for something like a Snap On torque wrench. They sometimes go for stupidly low prices. It's not out of the ordinary to see 3/8" drive ratcheting torque wrenches selling for £40-50.

I've had my Snap On torque wrenches for about 10 years and they've passed every calibration check with flying colours. The only issue I have with them is that the ratchet mechanism has finally given up on the 1/2" drive wrench so it needs a £16 repair kit fitted.

Try checking Ebay for something like a Snap On torque wrench. They sometimes go for stupidly low prices. It's not out of the ordinary to see 3/8" drive ratcheting torque wrenches selling for £40-50.

I've had my Snap On torque wrenches for about 10 years and they've passed every calibration check with flying colours. The only issue I have with them is that the ratchet mechanism has finally given up on the 1/2" drive wrench so it needs a £16 repair kit fitted.

Strap-On should fit the repair kit for free, don't they make a big thing about lifetime guarantees? Or is that a lifetime guarantee as long as you don't actually use the tool??

MarkB: calibrated on manufacture will do for home use. You could look for a second hand one but how would you know if some monkey hasn't been swinging off it or slipping a tube over it to use it as a breaker bar? And yes, I've seen muppets do this, even on 2 or 300 quid Snappy's or Mac's. I'd but new for piece of mind.

Strap-On should fit the repair kit for free, don't they make a big thing about lifetime guarantees? Or is that a lifetime guarantee as long as you don't actually use the tool??

MarkB: calibrated on manufacture will do for home use. You could look for a second hand one but how would you know if some monkey hasn't been swinging off it or slipping a tube over it to use it as a breaker bar? And yes, I've seen muppets do this, even on 2 or 300 quid Snappy's or Mac's. I'd but new for piece of mind.

They won't do it for free as it's a moving part so not covered by the warranty!

I've also got a couple of Phillips head screwdrivers where the tips are fucked. They won't cange them either as it's 'fair wear and tear' Lifetime warranty my arse!

They won't do it for free as it's a moving part so not covered by the warranty!

I've also got a couple of Phillips head screwdrivers where the tips are fucked. They won't cange them either as it's 'fair wear and tear' Lifetime warranty my arse!

Everyone moans about the Snap-On dude!

I use a local Mac dealer for odd bits and bobs. He calls into a garage just around the corner from me so if I see his van, I pop round. Never really had an issue with him and he's pretty fair, but saying that, I don't use my tools half as much as a mechanic would.

Try Halfords. I know they generally employ retards, but I've took stuff back to them and they've swapped it no question.

Try Halfords. I know they generally employ retards, but I've took stuff back to them and they've swapped it no question.

Lots of guys at my workplace including me get supplied tools, most of them are Kennedy which are crap. We supply some of our own stuff, bits that make the job easier and recently more and more of us are using Halfords, the proffesional stuff. It stands up to a fair amount of abuse daily and when we brake it they swap it no questions.

Snap off is not worth the money at all!

If i were to buy a torque wrench for regular use it would have to be a Norbar but for occasional use its Halfords.

Ditto. My dad's old Britool one was miles out of calibration, and I decided to replace rather than recalibrate I got a halfords one.

Really nice to use, and I've never had any questions asked on exchanging stuff in there. As everything is a blanket lifetime guarantee on their pro stuff and the staff are generally lazy and clueless they just reach for the shelf in their slack jawed way for a new one. Asking questions or arguing with you is over and above their pay grade and level of commitment.

Try Halfords. I know they generall y employ retards
:icon_salut:

Its meerly a part time job :lol:

If i was working and a customer brought in any of the advance/professional range i'd change it no questions asked, at the end of the day why should it matter if you don't have the receipt, you could be the 6th owner of that tool. life time means lifetime!! but a snotty manager with no mechanical knowledge what so ever may not be so easy. Lifetime garantee they reckon is only upon tools with no moving parts so excludes rachets bla bla. Just have an argument with them, tell them your getting customer services involved and watch the manager shit him self as he runs to the tool board to get you a new one.

Blimey, thanks for all the advice guys.

Aleady have a 1/2 in drive for bigger stuff but need a 3/8 drive as i`ve split the engine on my bike due to a gearbox problem and wanted to make sure i got it back together right.

I prefer to buy new so i`ll have a look at Halfords range to compare with the Teng Tools wrench which is £46 delivered.

Cheers

I`ve got a Britool at work, but a halfords at home. Halfords ones are really fucking good for the money.

Another vote for the Halfords Professional stuff here be it a torque wrench or a pair of needle nose pliers. It's all good but it's not surprisinging really as I heard it was made by another top tool manufacturer under licence for Halfords.

Another vote for the Halfords Professional stuff here be it a torque wrench or a pair of needle nose pliers. It's all good but it's not surprisinging really as I heard it was made by another top tool manufacturer under licence for Halfords.

They are indeed can't remember who though. Halfords wiper blades and oil filters are made by champion aswell ;)

Didn't Halfords change the T&C's of their lifetime warranty recently so you now have to show them the original receipt before they exchange it?

thats why the receipt is tucked into the tube the wrench comes in along with the instructions. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Anorher vote for the Halfords torque wrench from me. As an enthusiastic amatuer most of my kit is from their Pro range. It does me really well, have also swapped a couple of bits out under warranty.

Wanted one with a lower range so I got the Professional Torque Wrench 8 - 60Nm, 3/8 drive.

£59.99 - excellent piece of kit.

Halfords pro stuff is very good, certainly good enough for a home mechanic. I have a teng low range torque tench that is lovely, and a Clarke high range one that's less nice, but still good enough for my needs...

Another +1 for the Halfords torque wrenches. Most of my tools are now the Halfords Pro range, they are certainly more than good enough for me.

Mark, did you get the bits you need for your gearbox?

I've got a 750 gearbox and selectors available if your need them.

• 2 weeks later...
Another +1 for the Halfords torque wrenches. Most of my tools are now the Halfords Pro range, they are certainly more than good enough for me.

Mark, did you get the bits you need for your gearbox?

I've got a 750 gearbox and selectors available if your need them.

Hi Sennidott,

Thanks for asking, sorry for delayed reply. Haven`t been around much due to work.

Anyway, i got an srad750 complete bottom end plus other various bits off ebay for £70 from a top bloke. Just had to collect from Manchester. I`m no expert but I think the problem was the spring on the gear selector shaft was worn so when i changed gear the selector forks didn`t engage properly causing the damage. Came to this theory `cos when initially put gearbox in there was no difference so i swapped gear shaft and hey presto, i got gears. Just got to get my shit together and get on with getting bike together and MOT`d cos i`ve already missed some fine riding weather !

Mark

Hi Sennidott,

Thanks for asking, sorry for delayed reply. Haven`t been around much due to work.

Anyway, i got an srad750 complete bottom end plus other various bits off ebay for £70 from a top bloke. Just had to collect from Manchester. I`m no expert but I think the problem was the spring on the gear selector shaft was worn so when i changed gear the selector forks didn`t engage properly causing the damage. Came to this theory `cos when initially put gearbox in there was no difference so i swapped gear shaft and hey presto, i got gears. Just got to get my shit together and get on with getting bike together and MOT`d cos i`ve already missed some fine riding weather !

Mark

Glad you've got it all sorted.

Norbar actually make the halfords ones. There was a time when Norbar, Sykes Pickavant, Roebuck and the halfords ones sold the same version, Did alot of research into torque wrenches :D . Most of the tools in halfords are draper expert derived or sykes pickavant so good names.

• 1 year later...

I have a Teng 1/4" Torque wrench and a Powerbuilt 3/8" and I prefer the Powerbuilt for ease of set up and operating instructions, but the Teng is a better tool.

Another Halford Professional Torque wrench owner here. Got two of them, and I've never had any issue with them.

One word of warning for those who have never used one before, for fucks sake don't use a torque wrench for undoing stuff, it'll screw any semblance of accuracy right up. Go and get yourself a breaker bar for those kind of jobs. icon_salut.gif

I have a Norbar 3/8" middle range that is really nice and I use the most, then Teng 1/2" for big stuff and 1/4" for very small (TL fuel pump 4 ftibs etc)

Halfords pro stuff is very good these days tho, I have a ratchet spanner set from them and no complaints ...

Archived