possibly electrical?

madmike

Went out for the wirral egg run today! Which was awesome! :eusa_dance: The bike has been fine all week and running great with the new alternator!

Today though it was running great all day and then it suddenly cut out and the starter button did nothing but make a sort of faint buzzing noise, Got bump from TriGGer and it ran but had abit of a rough idle, if i put the indicators on or the brake light came on the dash would go really really faint, then suddenly on our way to the pub it sorted itself out and then started fine, on my way home at the bottom of my road it started to sound rough, like it was only on 3 cylinders and then cut out and now when i press the button it cranks the engine very slowly for about a second and then makes that faint buzzing noise.

First on the list tomorrow... WD40 all the wires! :eusa_think:

Does this just sound like a loose/dodgy connection? I hope it is! :D

Sounds like exactly what my ZZR did. I changed the alternator rotor and it fixed it, so I'd say start with the charging system.

Then I'm wrong.

Er...

Weather is meant to be shite tomorrow so ill hang on for a dry day and just WD all the coils and the other various wires and check all the connectors and fuses, then go from there... :huh:

Just been out to cover the bike up and thought i'd pop the key in and see if anything has changed, still only cranks about twice really slowly then made a faint buzzing noise, And im pretty sure I heard it come from the Reg/rec, But this was changed recently to one from a Yam R6, But i did notice today after it first broke down that it was EXTREMELY hot!

Could this be the issue? :eusa_whistle:

Reg/rect are supposed to get hot-thats how they dump the excess voltage--you sure the buzzing isn't coming from the relay?does sound very much like the charging system to me too.leave it on an optimate overnight if poss and check how much charge the battery is getting i would

Reg/rect are supposed to get hot-thats how they dump the excess voltage--you sure the buzzing isn't coming from the relay?does sound very much like the charging system to me too.leave it on an optimate overnight if poss and check how much charge the battery is getting i would

About two weeks ago I changed the alternator and the reg/rec, at the time the voltage was fine, the battery was being charged properly. it has been great since, Ill charge the battery and check the voltage today if I can.

Its raining outside though! :thumbsup:

Did you check out the connector block for the ignition switch too?sometimes they can get pretty corroded up and cause troubles--theres a link floating around somewhere for a flow chart to pin point a charging issue(just incase a replacement part has failed)

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-reso...nding-guide.php

how old is the battery too?i would imagine your local bike shop would be happy to load test the battery for no cost

p.s. is it a Honda?

fitted a R6 reg/rec a few weeks back with a new alternator and all has been faultless until yesterday! Put the multimeter on the battery today and it was reading 12.28v on idle and 12.22 at about 5000rpm! The local (trust worthy) garage said that will definately be the reg/rec so I've got one from a thundercat on the way!

its a honda cbr400 i have btw

Something else that might be a help to anyone is that the battery has been on charge for a pretty long time and still isn;t done!

The reason the bike cut out was because the battery stopped charging, but im wondering if the battery is abit dead?

BUT, the volt reading wouldn't be shite if it was the battery right? ;)

First up its pretty much the norm on older Honda's for the charging system to be problematic-usually the reg/rect unit--BUT dont discount the alterator windings shorting out--its very easy to check(use that link i chucked up above somewhere-so long as you can use a multimeter and remove the fuel tank--sometimes you can get away with leaving it in place).

As for the battery charging for a long time--if its been clicking the relay its very low--i'm assuming you're recharging with an optimate?they can take hours and hours-like overnight.BUT in my experience of them(we have 4 in the workshop on the go)they can give pretty varying amounts of time before they go green--hence me recmmending getting it load tested if poss.Have a look at the battery and see if theres signs of swelling on it.

just checked and the battery has finished charging! took all afternoon mind!

Alternator was recently changed for a good used one that had been tested, and by the fact that it was charging then it wasn't, then it was... does that not rule out the alternator? don't think they would do that. Gonna clean all the wires tomorrow and wait for the new reg/rec and see what that does...

Yep fair enough-just like to add i've never replaced a reg/rect between different models of bike as ive never needed to-so all that area is a little grey with me-guess it figures that they all work within the same boundaries.Good luck and let us know the result :eusa_whistle:

just to add-make sure the backing plate the unit is bolted to is nice and clean as it acts as a heatsink

make sure the backing plate the unit is bolted to is nice and clean as it acts as a heatsink

Ah... well... the R6 one didnt fit under the rear side panel as it was larger so I had it just under my rear seat (not actually attached to anything)

After the charging system went the reg rec was extremely hot so it may have burnt itself out due to me not attaching it properly? :wacko:

Mike, the Reg/Rec needs to be out in some airflow, and bolted to the frame, preferably hidden under a panel. :icon_blackeye:

No slacking off now :icon_salut:

its usually under the right hand side rear panel, but with it being a bit bigger it wouldn't fit so I plonked it under the rear seat for the time being, not actually attached

So its been fine for the past week nipping round town for journeys no longer than 20mins each but come the egg run... an hour or so and covered up AND not attached to the frame... Burnt itself out?

That make sense to anyone else? :icon_blackeye:

new reg rec off a thundercat 600! multimeter reads 14.38 on idle (no lights) and 14.40(ish) reving. Been told the 14v on idle is because the battery was literally put in the bike after being on charge!

Its not over charging it is it?

Because the new reg/rec is slightly larger than the oiginal, when it was bolted onto the plate it wouldn't allow the side panel to fit on so I moved it slightly lower but there was nowhere I could bolt it so I have zip tied it.

It is slightly lower and pokes out the bottom of the fairing so it gets abit more air now which is good and is making good contact with the plate on the frame so should cool nicely? :eusa_think:

Is that ok? or should it really be bolted?

dscf1064z.jpg

dscf1063m.jpg

dscf1061u.jpg

dscf1060ti.jpg

dscf1059qz.jpg

dscf1058n.jpg

And yes... I know... I had to re-new my tax today! :eusa_wall:

The heatsink of the reg/rec really needs to be bolted and heatsink-compounded onto the main part of the frame, this way the frame will also act as a larger heatsink, reg/rec will be happier and last longer that way, heat energy is wasted energy, an over hot reg/rec is inefficient and more prone to failure.

Archived