Something *very* strange indeed...

Bernster

Those on this here forum may remember my recent addition to the bike fold, an RR5 CBR1000RR.

361 miles, 2 owners, HPI cleared and all that gubbins........ however on just removing all the panels and changing the oil noticed this!

There's no obvious signs it's been down the road but see what you think, looks like the case and engine have been welded up?

4466179087_798be9bcd7_b.jpg

4466952656_0f235ef242_b.jpg

WTF?

From that photo, it looks like the cover has been welded to the crankcase, or is my shit eyesight getting shitter?

Could be damage from a snapped chain.

It most certainly has. Looks like copious amounts of HondaBond on the gasket also.

hat_blue_bros_flock_lg.jpg

ring_shank_nail_m.jpg

hammer.jpg

head-silhouette.png

On a more constructive note, it looks like the cases have been welded and either machined or trimmed back, so if it doesn't leak, I wouldn't be too worried. I'd be more worried about the bikes supposed 'history'

361 road miles ???? track miles ? ... :)

Er, it doesn't look like a standard Honda finish to me :)

I've heard rumours that these RR's didn't have the same build quality of earlier models but didn't think they'd ship them out like this.

I doubt it very much it would be a factory repair, it surely wouldn't be worth tarnishing the reputation.

I reckon it's possible it was a dealer demo bike that got dropped and repaired in house, (hence it appearing most damaged parts have been replaced).

Well I'm stuck with it now.

361 road miles ???? track miles ? ... :o

That crossed my mind too, low mileage, mint condition (on the surface) :)

I've heard rumours that these RR's didn't have the same build quality of earlier models but didn't think they'd ship them out like this.

I doubt it very much it would be a factory repair, it surely wouldn't be worth tarnishing the reputation.

I reckon it's possible it was a dealer demo bike that got dropped and repaired in house, (hence it appearing most damaged parts have been replaced).

Well I'm stuck with it now.

As TriGGer says, if it's sealed ok, then no reason to worry. Only concern is if you're prepared to take the financial loss if you tell the next owner I guess.

On a more constructive note, it looks like the cases have been welded and either machined or trimmed back, so if it doesn't leak, I wouldn't be too worried. I'd be more worried about the bikes supposed 'history'

361 road miles ???? track miles ? ... :o

Dealer history checks out and it seems to match the mileage, some parts still had the protective pre-delivery adhesive covers on. The guy I bought it off used to work at the Honda dealership.

Sell it on or rape it this summer? :)

Keep hold of it and thwap the tits off it all year. As you say, it's probably a demo thats been dropped, and all the changable bits have been. TBH, 30 mins with a flap wheel/brass brush and some silver paint and I could have the Honda dealers struggling to find the repair ... :o:)

Keep hold of it and thwap the tits off it all year. As you say, it's probably a demo thats been dropped, and all the changable bits have been. TBH, 30 mins with a flap wheel/brass brush and some silver paint and I could have the Honda dealers struggling to find the repair ... ;):eusa_whistle:

Remind me never to buy a used bike off you, even if you can prove its provenance :icon_blackeye:

Keep hold of it and thwap the tits off it all year. As you say, it's probably a demo thats been dropped, and all the changable bits have been. TBH, 30 mins with a flap wheel/brass brush and some silver paint and I could have the Honda dealers struggling to find the repair ... :eusa_whistle::icon_blackeye:

Want a job? ;)

That's a shame that is mate, It sort of takes the shine off having a new bike, thinking you knew it's history but then something a bit sour shows up...

Like the guys above say, if it doesn't leak then I wouldn't worry about the technical side of things.

Was the fella you bought it off the only other owner Maybe you could go and have a word? Also, silly question, but did you HPI the bike? If we get anything in with the crankcases damaged in that sort of way then there's gonna obviously be a lot more damage to go with it. We aren't allowed to do repairs like these to crankcases, therefore we have to quote for new cases, gaskets & seals, plus a hideous amount of labour to do it. We've never had a job like this authorised for repair, all of them get written off...

Dealer history checks out and it seems to match the mileage, some parts still had the protective pre-delivery adhesive covers on. The guy I bought it off used to work at the Honda dealership.

Sell it on or rape it this summer? :eusa_whistle:

I'd talk to the bloke you bought it off. Lots of bits with the pre-delivery covers on? Could be replacement parts for knackered bits? Do engine and frame numbers match?

There's certainly something suspect going on there...

Mitch

I'd talk to the bloke you bought it off. Lots of bits with the pre-delivery covers on? Could be replacement parts for knackered bits? Do engine and frame numbers match?

There's certainly something suspect going on there...

Mitch

Shouldn't worry about engine & frame numbers matching... they don't on those anyway

Shouldn't worry about engine & frame numbers matching... they don't on those anyway

Isn't there a record of which engine should go with which frame?

Mitch

Isn't there a record of which engine should go with which frame?

Mitch

Oh yeh, in the V5 it shows you what the numbers should be

I misunderstood you, they don't physically match IYSWIM, so you wouldn't know just by looking at the bike

Oh yeh, in the V5 it shows you what the numbers should be

I misunderstood you, they don't physically match IYSWIM, so you wouldn't know just by looking at the bike

:thumbsup:

There is something very strange about a bike with that mileage, with that repair and new parts on it. If it were me I'd be pretty peeved and going back to the seller to figure out WTF was going on.

Crashed dealer demo bike?

Crashed track bike?

Something is amiss :eusa_whistle:

Mitch

Just come off the phone to the guy I bought it off up in Mansfield, Notts. He assures me that it was purchased from a guy that said it had never been on the road or registered as it was brand new....(strange) - and that he'll help all he can with getting me in touch with the guy he bought it from.

I won't hold my breath, but I think unless I can prove it's illegal, (at this stage it's just the engine that's doesn't match, or it's blank) - in as much as any part of it is from a stolen vehicle then there's very little I can do.

He reckons he MOT'd it without a problem, but surely if the engine number on the V5 doesn't match the engine number on your engine, (or if it doesn't have one) - it can't have an MOT?

This is the 22nd bike I've ever owned and I've never been bent over before so easily, I should have sussed something wasn't quite right with it having such low mileage.

At this stage I'm thinking of getting a second-hand engine in it and then getting that DVLA registered.

Anyone got any ideas? :D

If it's of any use I recently had my bike go through it's first MOT and all they checked and recorded was the VIN / chassis number

not the engine number .

Shit. The plot thickens. I would be fucking livid Bernster. Got any 'handy' mates???

Well I was training with the Royal 2 years ago and those mates that are still in and flashed are off to Afghanistan middle of April, in fact attended a big 'do' yesterday with 40 commando. So I suppose if they've got time to pop up from Taunton I could ask them to 'have a word', but at the end of the day it's my fuck up and the bloke could plead all sorts of innocence.

I bet there's shit all I can do about it to be honest. I'll see if I can get it MOT'd, then take it from there.

I just can't figure out what's going on though, the bikes seems like a 300 miler, even the tyres are the original crap ones and look like they've done 300 miles, so is the suspension linkages, switches, you name it.

Ex race machine you think with a sourced engine lobbed in? Hence why everything is so clean and 300 mile-ish?

So fuck knows what miles the engine that's in it has done.

Archived