Adapting a link pipe...

szrdave

I've got a Harris end can and an Akrapovic link pipe I was going to fit to my CBR600F tomorrow, before I found they don't fit together :eusa_wall:

The link pipe OD is 52mm and the can ID 51mm, which leaves 3 options as far as I can see:

1 - Ask on the CBR owners forum if anyone wants a swap (already done)

2 - Cut a slot in the link pipe and bend it in

3 - Cut a slot in the can and bend it out

Some pics to show what I'm working with:

P26-03-10_223601.jpg

P26-03-10_2211.jpg

P26-03-10_2212.jpg

If option 1 falls through, any recommendations on the choice between 2 and 3? And the best way to go about cutting a slot in said choice?

It may be worth noting that the tools I have to work with are, in no particular order:

1 - One hand to hold the item to be cut

2 - A junior hacksaw

3 - A hand to operate 2

If you have a stainless exhaust fitting shop near, they might flare the link pipe so it will sleeve over the can inlet. Failing that grind the inside of the can and outside of the link with a an abrasive grinding wheel, apply a lot of heat to the can sleeve and ease it in, get it spot on as it will never come out!

Good luck!

I think you might be trying to fit it back to front. The flared end of the link pipe is supposed to go over the headers and the non-flared end goes into the end can. I think Akrapovics have a slightly larger bore than the usual 50mm stuff. It might sound like a stupid question, but have you tried fitting the link the other way round? The spring hook on the link will be to hold it onto the Akra headers, not the can.

I think you might be trying to fit it back to front. The flared end of the link pipe is supposed to go over the headers and the non-flared end goes into the end can. I think Akrapovics have a slightly larger bore than the usual 50mm stuff. It might sound like a stupid question, but have you tried fitting the link the other way round? The spring hook on the link will be to hold it onto the Akra headers, not the can.

Actually Kayla has a good point, I have just checked my Akra link pipe and its got the welded lip onto my collector and the smooth end into the end can - Give it a go......

I'll offer it up to the bike today to check, but the smooth end only has one spring hook and the o2 sensor mounting point whereas the flared end has two spring hooks for attaching the can:

P26-03-10_2236.jpg

Loads of clear mastic in end can end the chop a coke can up and put in end can too, loads more mastic and it all should fit together with a nice jubilee clip :)

Loads of clear mastic in end can end the chop a coke can up and put in end can too, loads more mastic and it all should fit together with a nice jubilee clip :)

plate_tn_trans.gif

:o

I'll offer it up to the bike today to check, but the smooth end only has one spring hook and the o2 sensor mounting point whereas the flared end has two spring hooks for attaching the can:

P26-03-10_2236.jpg

Well you are trying to use 2 items which aren't designed to match... :eusa_whistle:

I've got a Harris end can and an Akrapovic link pipe I was going to fit to my CBR600F tomorrow, before I found they don't fit together :eusa_wall:

The link pipe OD is 52mm and the can ID 51mm, which leaves 3 options as far as I can see:

1 - Ask on the CBR owners forum if anyone wants a swap (already done)

2 - Cut a slot in the link pipe and bend it in

3 - Cut a slot in the can and bend it out

<Snip>

4 - Weld a sleeve onto the can (emery cloth the link pipe down to fit)

5 - Weld a sleeve into the pipe (emery cloth it down to fit) - this is easier in terms of fit because the link pipe inside diameter is less of a worry you may of course have to chop some off for length.

6 - Change the female fitting on the can, you can get em off ebay and bolt em in

7 - Get very frustrated and hit it with a very big hammer*

*This isn't likely to work, but will at least temporarily, make you feel better.

Thanks for the advice. In the end I took the easy option number 3 and cut three slots in the can, as it's already a bit battered (and I don't have the appropriate equipment for welding or grinding).

The link pipe now goes 2/3 of the way in and is quite a snug fit, I might try heating the can up and sticking the link pipe in the freezer to see if it'll slide in a bit more.

I removed the centre stand while I was messing around with the bike, so as soon as I've got a mounting strap and a couple of springs it'll be on :lol:

I reckon it weighs about a third of the original steel exhaust, but it may be LOUD!!

Archived