Honda Firestorm

Hendo

Anyone here ever owned a firestorm?

My step-dad has just bought a 1999 one. 2 questions -

1. Does anyone know if there is any reason why the rear cylinder has developed a miss-fire? Common faults anywhere?

2. I have a Draper 100piece socket set and none of the sockets fitted the sparkplugs. I tried another few sockets from another set and it was the same. Is there a specific honda tool or something for removing the sparkplugs?

Cheers

Andy

For the miss-fire, I would initially check the leads are ok, then the spark plugs (which you seem to be having a problem doing! damn those speical tools...they normaly come in the bike toolkit). If everything checks out there (also making sure the spark at he plug is good) then I would be looking to make sure the carbs / throttle bodies are balanced / synchronised. If the bike has a choke, then I would also check this is shutting properly (sometimes a choke plunger on one carb can get stuck open from corrosion, even just a little bit, making that cylinder run rich. Happened to my SV...ince the engine was warm, it settled to an idle 1000 rpm higher than it should have been!)

Under what conditions does it mis-fire?

Matt

He bought it on Monday, and did about 50miles on it. 45miles no problem, running well, the last 5miles it started mis-firing. It does it right from tick over now.

No toolkit came with the bike unfortunately.

Its done 12,000miles with a full service history, but he's ordered plugs, filters and oil.

I just cant get these bloody plugs out. I think its a case of I have the correct socket sizes but they are just too wide to get all the way down the opening onto the plug.

Andy

I just went and had a look at my firestorm tool kit, and this is the engineering brilliance that honda has created to remove the sparkplugs!!

IMG_3872.jpg

Outside measurement is 21mm from flat surface to flat surface

Hope that helps in your search for a socket!

Have a word with honda about the plug socket: I needed one for my Bros a few years back, it was about £4 and they had it to me by the next day, I couldn't have done it without it.

Well I got one out tonight using one of these -

IMG_3872.jpg

(Thanks for the picture squawk)

Except the one I had was for a CBR 400. So I butchered it with a hacksaw, hammered the fucker onto the plug, and luckily the plug wasnt too tight and out it came.

The plug is 18mm, so I'll need to get an 18mm long reach socket sorted (I have a 17mm and a 19mm :blink: ). Luckily the bloke next door is a snap-on man who doesnt mind lending tools :thumbsup:

Plug is blackend and sooty but still producing a good spark.

I'll wait untill I have given it a full service with new plugs before I go checking anything else. Possible carb strip.

Thanks for all your help.

Andy

looks like its running rich to me. check the air filter to see if it is nice and clean.

It was fairly dirty. There is a new one on order though.

Andy

Mine used to drop on to one cylinder on long runs at a steady throttle or long runs in wet/damp weather.

I kept checking the plugs and leads at the road side when it happened and then the carbs when I got home. At the road side it would start again and run properly after taking out and refitting the plugs, so I at first thought it was something I was disturbing in that area as I was moving things about that was temporarily fixing the problem. I later found that just leaving the bike turned off for about 5 mins would have it running properly without touching anything.

It seemed to only happen after filling up at dodgy 'no name' garages in the middle of nowhere, filling up at a decent garage would soon have it running as it should without problems.

Whether it was the fuel evaporavting or the rear carb icing up I don't know but decent fuel seem to have cured it for me.

Archived