Material Choice for swingarm axle and spacers

jezz

Hi Guys,

I'm having a little difficulty fitting my RSV swingarm to my Triumph frame. I need to get some new spacers made and a new axle. Trouble is I'm not sure on the best material to use. I've been advised against stainless, titanium would be nice but I'm not sure how expensive that would make it. I checked into some material specs and EN19T looks good, or AISI 4130, but I'm struggling to find anyone who can get it. I've done the drawings in AutoCAD (tolerances probably need checking). What else is possible to use?

Basically I've got a hybrid of Triumph and Aprilia RSV dimensions.

Hi Guys,

I'm having a little difficulty fitting my RSV swingarm to my Triumph frame. I need to get some new spacers made and a new axle. Trouble is I'm not sure on the best material to use. I've been advised against stainless, titanium would be nice but I'm not sure how expensive that would make it. I checked into some material specs and EN19T looks good, or AISI 4130, but I'm struggling to find anyone who can get it. I've done the drawings in AutoCAD (tolerances probably need checking). What else is possible to use?

Basically I've got a hybrid of Triumph and Aprilia RSV dimensions.

EN16T, or EN24T. there is a good section in John Bradleys book about it. i'd use EN16T, 24 is more expensive, but not really necessary (says Bradley)

Definately dont use Ti, cos it is minging to machine, expensive and it you get it wrong 'notch' sensitive. (says Bradley)

don't use stainless because it's shear strength is way less than EN16 unless you go for some fancy high strength grade and then it is expensive again.

What is the OD you need because i have a few bars of EN24T in the garage about 2.5 foot long, and you could have one.

edit add for spacers just use HE30/6082T6 ally

EN16T, or EN24T. there is a good section in John Bradleys book about it. i'd use EN16T, 24 is more expensive, but not really necessary (says Bradley)

Definately dont use Ti, cos it is minging to machine, expensive and it you get it wrong 'notch' sensitive. (says Bradley)

don't use stainless because it's shear strength is way less than EN16 unless you go for some fancy high strength grade and then it is expensive again.

What is the OD you need because i have a few bars of EN24T in the garage about 2.5 foot long, and you could have one.

edit add for spacers just use HE30/6082T6 ally

Hi Jamie,

The axle and the threaded spacer are the important bits - I need 20mm diameter for the axle and 36mm diameter for the spacer

Thanks

Jezz

Hi Jamie,

The axle and the threaded spacer are the important bits - I need 20mm diameter for the axle and 36mm diameter for the spacer

Thanks

Jezz

i'll have a measure up tonight

For the axle, if it's just straightforward hollow kind, I would look for an existing one, such as many 600's, and cut it to length and thread on a new end with permanent loktite. Modern 600 spindles are very light and strong. This is usually what I do.

If it helps, the TRX850 and FZR400 3TJ rear axles are both 20mm and hollow. The TRX one is longer. Also, the YZF750, TRX850 and probably loads of other Yams' swingarm spindles are 20mm. I'd guess the TRX swingarm spindle is at least 270mm long.

http://homepage1.nifty.com/246/yam_sarm.htm

Is that any use?

3up and Kayla,

Many thanks for your advice. Unfortunately it doesn't always work.... (been there done that spent the money and no further forward) <_<

The trumpet frame is SUPER wide and uses a 25mm axle - bought one of these

The aprilia swingarm is MUCH narrower and uses a 20mm axle - bought one of these

So now I have an axle long enough for the frame but not thin enough for the swingarm, and 2 (yesthere was one with the 'arm that I bought ages ago - I forgot I had it! :pbtwerplr3: ) axles that fit the 'arm but not the frame. Hence the need to get one machined up, unless you know of a bike that 340mm between the frame and a 20mm axle?? :tacheemoticonwh7:

I need to find a (good) cheap machinist - been quoted £360 -£900 for all the bits! :wtfmore:

3up and Kayla,

Many thanks for your advice. Unfortunately it doesn't always work.... (been there done that spent the money and no further forward) :blink:

The trumpet frame is SUPER wide and uses a 25mm axle - bought one of these

The aprilia swingarm is MUCH narrower and uses a 20mm axle - bought one of these

So now I have an axle long enough for the frame but not thin enough for the swingarm, and 2 (yesthere was one with the 'arm that I bought ages ago - I forgot I had it! :eusa_wall: ) axles that fit the 'arm but not the frame. Hence the need to get one machined up, unless you know of a bike that 340mm between the frame and a 20mm axle?? :thumbsup:

I need to find a (good) cheap machinist - been quoted £360 -£900 for all the bits! :sFun_doh2:

Would it be possible to cut and slug the two 20mm axles together, then machine the weld down where they join? Or how about alternative bearings for the swingarm? I'm guessing you've probably already thought about these though.

I find this site useful for nailing wrong stuff together ;)

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Drawn_Cup__HK_Series_-1244-c

Would it be possible to cut and slug the two 20mm axles together, then machine the weld down where they join? Or how about alternative bearings for the swingarm? I'm guessing you've probably already thought about these though.

I find this site useful for nailing wrong stuff together ;)

http://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Drawn_Cup__HK_Series_-1244-c

Hmmm that just smells too much of cut n shut cars that break in the middle when then weld gives way...... :wtfmore:

Not sure I fancy the possibility of that happening at ???mph on the road.... another skyroadskyroadskyroadouch!! moment!!! :eusa_think:

I'm sure I'll have it cracked ( ;) ) soon! :thumbsup:

Archived