rsv mille oil light

rsv chris

Well my bloody low oil pressure light comes on when the mille is on tick over. (rev the bike over 2k goes out) The bike doesn't knock or rattle either, sounds like usual.

It's been leaking a few trickles of coolant recentley on to the pressure switch, I've taken the switch cover off and left it to dry out.

Hoping water ingress has damaged the switch making it too sensitive if you will (clutches at straws, better be electrical!).

I will be pretty pissed off if I need to change the oil pump on a 25000 mile bike!

Is there any history off weak mille oil pumps? I'm going to buy a new switch anyway, if the fault is still aparent after copious drying time. But to ease/worry, my mind anyone got any gen?

Have you checked the oil level properly?

With it being a dry sump engine (with a 2 stage oil pump) the oil level is critical for achieving oil pressur at low rpm.

+1 its not the regular way of checking the oil level and I have seen that happen before.

Cheers guys, the oil level is good, I change it two, three times a year, and it was the first thing I checked.

Hopefully the switch then :icon_blackeye:

Bloody Italians :eusa_whistle:

Well I can't argue! It is Italian and it has an electrical problem "hopefully".

I can surely say, if it is the oil pump that has gone, no way am I going to look into buying an RSV4.

Well I can't argue! It is Italian and it has an electrical problem "hopefully".

I can surely say, if it is the oil pump that has gone, no way am I going to look into buying an RSV4.

Hehe.. I don't think you can blame the italians on this one! All the electrics seem to be Japanese (Denso, etc) and all the motor bits are Austrian! (Rotax)

This is true, the engine is austrian, but the RSV4 has a " in house designed and fabricated engine" according to aprilia. If rotax make dodgy oil pumps

( :eusa_whistle: hopefully not) then what is the chance of aprilia building a reliable new v4?? Hope it is reliable because I still would love one.

IIRC the oil pressure at tickover is only around 15psi and the switches go off at 1 bar ( 14.7 psi ) so its pretty close , stick a switch on it , she'll be fine .

Contact Griff at Aprilia performance ( 01827 285500 ) and tell him your problems and he'll probably stick a switch in the post for you

http://www.apriliaperformance.co.uk/

Cheers for the link, good site.

I'll give he bike a run when it's not raining, and see if my attempts at drying the switch have worked. If not I'll be on the blower for a new switch.

Archived