zx10r won't prime or fire.....

King_louis

Right the bikes been sat for the last four months with no battery on it, put a new one on this morning and it won't start. When i turn the key in the ignition the light all come on and the dash does its spinning thing but the fuel pump doesn't prime, the exhaust servo doesn't clear. when you hit the starter the the engine turns fine over but does not fire at all. Also I've had a look and the power commander isn't showing any lights. Normally when you turn the ignition on the LEDs flash up and down. I've checked all the fuses etc an all is good....... Any ideas would be great cuz i'm pretty stuck!

I dont know anything about these kind of things but could it be a security feature that kicks in like when you disconnect the battery on the car the radio usually goes into security mode and you have to get a code to unlock it, speak to a dealer they may be able to help you. maybe next time instead of removing the battery might it be better to connect up one of those trickle chargers?

Yeah i did wonder about this but in the service manual it doesn't mention any extra security features and even recommends removing the battery when storing the bike.

haven't got the other key... its not flashing the Fi light tho witch would indicate a imobilser issue.... Just been outside working on it for another couple of hours, still can't find anything..... bloody annoying....

Outside chance - since you've been in and about the battery compartment - check the tilt sensor - it's mounted below the rear tank mounting crosspiece that the battery slides under.

Has it been nocked or fallen off it's mounting? - apparently they can be a bit sensitive.

No other suggesstions sorry

Taq

Have you tried with the power commander disconnected, back to standard ecu only?

I reckon its the power commander mate, take it out of the loop and she'll fire up I bet.

No fuel pump = tilt switch underneath the tank on a bracket lh side.

But no lights on the PC3.........Dodgy.

Mine would'nt fire and it turned out the map had cleared somehow, but from your symptoms it seems the PC3 is'nt powered up.

Good luck, its infuriating isnt it.

power commander earth lead is connected... gave up and went to the pub and after much thought i'm thinking it must be the power commander..I've been over just about everything else.. for it not to be priming the fuel pump or exhaust servo it must be the PC3.... bloody infuriating it sure is, I really wanted to get it back on the road this week, lifes been a bit gay of late and having the bike back would sort me out a treat.

Sorry mate if you lived nearer I'd do it for ya....

Couple of hours work and she'll run again, then you'll need to get onto dynojet uk, they're pretty good in my experience.

Don't know what your immobiliser set-up is like, but on my old GSR it formed part of the ignition cowl. When I fitted my PCIII, I had to remove the cowl to remove the tank etc, put the bike back in a semblance of order to test and the cowl wasn't close enough to the key for the transponder to work, to a while of head scratching, checking, swearing etc, then realised and it started first time, can't remember if this killed the power to the PCIII.

Don't know what your immobiliser set-up is like, but on my old GSR it formed part of the ignition cowl. When I fitted my PCIII, I had to remove the cowl to remove the tank etc, put the bike back in a semblance of order to test and the cowl wasn't close enough to the key for the transponder to work, to a while of head scratching, checking, swearing etc, then realised and it started first time, can't remember if this killed the power to the PCIII.

I believe its part of the ignition barrell on the 10r.

The immobilizer its is part of the barrel on the 10r.....

Anyway, Tim Blakemore kawazaki tuner extraordinaire picked it up yesterday and phoned me this morning, He can't find whats wrong!! Its not the power commander or any relays etc etc....

Sooooooo, New question... Do we think this is going to be something stupidly and cheap and simple, faulty sensor etc... or (gulp) something stupidly expensive... new loom / ecu or similar...??????

I think it'll be something cheap!!!Does it have an alarm fitted?Some alarm guys like to wire them into the fuel pump.What model zx10 is it?I would check if youre getting a feed to the fuel pump for a start-or connect some auxillary power to it to see it actually works.Not sure about the exhaust servo but one step at a time and all that!You say no F.I. light is lit?Any chance of mice in the garage its kept?

Nope no mice...with the amount of cats in my road a mouse wouldn't stand a chance... Anyway....

I went up to tim blakemore today and had a chat about progress thus far.... The ECU isn't powering up... he seems slightly confused as it doesn't seem to be an ecu issue. There is just no power feed to it. I await his next call....and my wallet is awaiting a hammering! Such a bastard, i''ve just cleared my over draft as well.

No mate, getting seriously worried now, its been with tim blakemore for over a week now, I phoned him on friday evening and he said he'd had to walk away from it because it was doing his head in.. he said he was going to have a good go at it on saturday and I should await his call..... Still heard nothing. At what point do you think I should say "ok you've had your shot" and take it somewhere else? only thing is where do i take it? he's meant to be one of the best in the south for kawazaki... I've got this weird feeling its never going to work again!!

I think thats what he was doing next, going through the immobilizer circuit trying to see if is a sensor or switch tripping it out, then going through the loom and isolating each section to try and find a break... it just worries me that its causing him grief and he's an expert...

I think thats what he was doing next, going through the immobilizer circuit trying to see if is a sensor or switch tripping it out, then going through the loom and isolating each section to try and find a break... it just worries me that its causing him grief and he's an expert...

This is what modern mechanics are up against with cars or bikes everyday I'm afraid.

Lee

no, haven't tried the plugs and can't smell any juice when turning over, Its weird because the dash and lights all go live but the fuel pump doesn't prime and the exhaust servo doesn't clear. Like I said he's checked all the relays and simple stuff, the when he went to hook the ecu up to the laptop he couldn't get any readings so checked the power feed and there was none... Your guess is as good as mine...

yeah he did suggest that, I thought after though that is probably won't work as the ecu's are programmed to the immobilizer... catch 22!

Definitely sounds like the ignition/fuel circuit is still immobilised - imagine turning the ignition on with the kill switch in the off position, this would replicate the situation you have. Therefore its either a hardwire issue on that circuit or the key chip not giving the correct handshake to the immobiliser.

TBH any dealer with some OBD reading equipment should be able to tell you if it was the immobiliser within minutes.

Best of luck. :icon_blackeye:

- imagine turning the ignition on with the kill switch in the off position,

thats exactly the symptom..only that has happened to me before and when you go to turn the engine over the Fi light blinks at you to tell you the immobliser is cutting in. There is no indication of this, and, also if memory serves, when the imobiliser cuts in the engine won't turn over at all, on mine it just turns over fine but nothing else.. My mums sent me the master red master key recorded delivery today but i don't think it'll make much difference..

It's strange and probably simple because the F.I. light isnt illuminated--so theres no point hooking it up to a Kawasaki diagnosis as it wont have a problem logged-outside chance on checking previous faults but having had a guy poke around it could have all sorts logged.-if it were me checking it i would work through eliminating as much as possible like the killswitch-what model did you say it was???

• 6 months later...

yeah it did.. it ended up having kwak uk and the kwak europe techs working on it. cost me a lot of money though!! turned out the ecu and loom had somehow sorted out.. think there was a fault on the loom and it fucked the ecu.. not quite sure how it bypassed the main fuse but it did!! I learned only one thing from this.... a new ecu and a new loom cost alot! The bikes been blinding ever since though! so i forgot the money after a bit......as you do!

Archived