Garage fume extraction...

Ringding

I'm lucky enough to be getting an extension built on the house this year (planning permission pending) and part of the build will be a longer and wider garage. Woohoo!

As part of the new workshop I'd like to include some fume extraction for use when spraying (just rattle can stuff) and to allow me to run the bikes with the garage door down.

What I'm not sure is if I can just use the same sort that you'd use for a kitchen or bathroom. Are there any issues with extrating potentially flammable materials through a 'normal' extract? Does any one have an experience of this?

TIA.

How big is your garage going to be, cos a bathroom extractor isn't going to shift much air in a large room. It'd be more effective to open the door, or are you planning a spraybooth area also?

How about rigging up a couple of car radiator fans and running them off a 12v to 240v adapter, and fabricating a frame over the front of them to house some filter wadding to catch the overspray particles?

I was thinking of knocking up a small spray booth, to which I'd attach the hose. I was envisaging using the same hose to the exhaust fume extraction. Good point about filtering to catch the overspray though, that might be worth doing. I'm just a bit suprised I've not really found anything that I can buy specifically for this purpose...

I built a small booth years ago for spray painting scale models indoors when the weather was shitty or cold. Open-fronted MDF box with a baffle plate fitted with fish tank filter wadding. Cut two holes in the back and used two CPU fans, the biggest I could find, wired to a 3 pin 240v adapter. Ran a tumble dryer hose from the fans to an open window to vent the fumes outside. It rocked, and I painted quite a few small bike bits in it too.

If you google paintshop or body shop supplies, you'll probably find commercial stuff with commercial pricetags to match :o

I've been doing both a bodywork (sanded filler) and wedling (fumes) course recently, and both had some extraction system going on. Not looked into the finer details, but that sort of system would be where I was looking.

I'm lucky enough to be getting an extension built on the house this year (planning permission pending) and part of the build will be a longer and wider garage. Woohoo!

As part of the new workshop I'd like to include some fume extraction for use when spraying (just rattle can stuff) and to allow me to run the bikes with the garage door down.

What I'm not sure is if I can just use the same sort that you'd use for a kitchen or bathroom. Are there any issues with extrating potentially flammable materials through a 'normal' extract? Does any one have an experience of this?

TIA.

open a window/cat flap/escape hatch/emergency exit/rip in time continuam........

Looked into this many years ago for commercial welding fume extraction

Have a look at this

http://www.horizon-int.com/oil-mist-extraction.shtml

Or you can talk to the people who make commercial extraction systems for chip shops etc.

A friend of mine has this extractor motor in his house. Any loose pieces of paper in the kitchen end up being sucked onto the extractor hood when it is on full blast :eusa_whistle: and it doesn't seem all that noisy to me. I don't know how well it will stand up to exhaust/pain fumes? Like Alex says, you can filter those out.

http://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/DEF/product/...100T!!/

Thanks for the links blow away. I've found various people supplyuing fume extraction to industry, but they are understandably out of my price range. I've been planning on using something like the fan in your second link but just wasn't sure about issues of extracting potentially flammable aerosols using them. Guess it's a question for the manufacturer, I'll drop them an email.

As for opening door/window. That's what I've been doing for the last 10 years and it just doesn't work. I end up with pockets of fumes around and eventually the smell leaks into the house. Also, I want something that will allow me to run the bikes with the door down so I can work on them at night without annoying the neighbours.

I've been planning on using something like the fan in your second link but just wasn't sure about issues of extracting potentially flammable aerosols using them. Guess it's a question for the manufacturer, I'll drop them an email.

In my wholly unexpert opinion, I would have thought this would be OK - just make sure the extractor is switched on before you start making fumes, so that the switch "spark" does not ignite anything :eusa_whistle:

iv got a kempe extraction system at work over my welding table,abut £800 with a boom to posision it aver the weld area,and spray both,iv made three over the years,one gas fired,the neaxt to infa red,a bit dearer but a lot easer,the basic prinsable,is to have a over head filter,4 moicron filter cloth/pad is avalible,with under floor extraction,but i will say the last one i did,had both sides used as the extraction points,a lot better for bikes.

better to force the air in and suck it out then calibrate the air presure in side so as to have the room slitley presurised,then do shit will be sucked in.done properley a home made spray both is a good as bought one,just think about all the prosess you will be doing and plan it well,over the three i built ,they got better.

this year is mark 4,as we have just bought a polt of land for a porta cabine,this is the next pray/work shop.ill post some pics when we start to put it togather.

In my wholly unexpert opinion, I would have thought this would be OK - just make sure the extractor is switched on before you start making fumes, so that the switch "spark" does not ignite anything :eusa_whistle:

Careful about what sort of motor the fans are run by. If it isn't a brushless motor, then the sparks from the switch could be the least of the problems. Also, I'd be a bit worried about static from plastic fan blades. This is very much an area where proper expert opinion is required, and not just pub / internet experts!

Sparks from the motor are what I'm concerned about. I'll have to drop some manufacturers an email.

IIRC, CPU fans are brushless or shielded in some way to stop EMR affecting computer components? I never had any cause for concern with my little booth, and some model paints (Tamiya and Gunze) contain proper nasty solvents. Maybe I was just lucky :eusa_whistle:

Have a lit candle in your spray booth, so the gagses are constantly burnt off. It'll be like an oil refinery, but smaller.

Have a lit candle in your spray booth, so the gagses are constantly burnt off. It'll be like an oil refinery, but smaller.

Like Grangemouth?

It'll be reet... what could possibly go wrong :icon_puke_r:

you can have flame proof moters for the spray both,very dear though,you can have out board moters,but if you use the ,in feed only fan system,you dont kneed a flame proof moter as long as the in feed air is brought in as clean air,not contaminated with the out put air.

Like that theory, have 2 vents; 1 inlet which has the motor, 1 outlet which doesn't. That'd work.

this an old way of doing a cheep spray booth,does work,but if the room is over presurised,the door will be a twat to open,but if the out let is made verey smoth run,ythen no problem.

i have made a copy of a spray bake booth,for a fraction of the cost ,a couple of years age,with infra red heating sycle,wich is cheper to run,and has less chane of after contamination from in feed dust.as you turn turn the in feed fan off after spraying,bake then,blow the room through with the in fan,and job done.

i have a chap who can do a bake programed timer and the contacters for the in feed moter.

Archived