VFR advice needed

jaycee

A mate's VRFR 750 has fried its reg/rec ( must be the season for this!). Its a VFR 750FG 1986 model. I have a battery for him but he needs a reg ASAP.

What other bikes can he salvage one from via ebay etc?

The Bikers oracle VFR forum should have the details. I think you can visit as a guest. Haven't been on it for ages as I got sick of the bigotry/ racism.

There's a good guide here.

Most reg/recs will work. if you are getting a Honda one, then get one of a post-2001 bike...they were beefed up with cooling fins. You can pick them up off eBay for about £20

So, potentially I could give him the spare one I have for the SRAD??

That'll work fine, i've got some sort of suzuki one on mine. You have to chop off the connector block for it and fit spade connectors, but the connector block is quite often burnt to a crisp from when the reg/rec has gone so thats no big loss.

There easy to wire up, the 3 yellow or white wires can go in in any order, then +ve and -ve have to go to the correct one, if you get this wrong the main fuse on the bike blows so swap them over then replace the fuse.

Any 5 wire reg rec should be bob on... the smart dollar is on the Yamaha models. They are huge, take the spades (soldered)a and work..

I just bought an 03 R6 one for £15 on the bay...almost 50% larger than my fried £80 electrex one (on my NC30)

Archived