Superteens

Devon

Here's a project that I am planning on starting to build in the next few days. I never intended to get an RS I only wanted the frame so I could put a drz400 engine in it and make it in to a supermono. I got the bike from a breakers for £350 a few years ago, it was just about running but I knew I could sort that out later on, was more worried about the paint job, it was a very horrible paint job a mixture of professional bodywork paint which is the blue and then the previous owner adding their own mark to it by getting out the house paint and painting the whole bike. he painted the frame and swingarm with black house paint and the wheels had rim tape style painted on with blue house paint.

The plan with the bike is to put 06 bodywork on it I have the correct fairing bracket and the rear subframe so no problems with fitting. I have had the wheels powder coated in KTM orange they are so nice I don't want to fit them for fear of damaging the paint. i sold the the engine to help get some funds to build up a rolling chassis with the intention of getting an engine later on, which I now have a bottom end in my garage which will get rebuilt later on. my final plan for the bike is to make it look like a superteens race bike I may follow to the rules and regulations of that series to make a true replica but I don't plan to race in that series because of my age and other commitments. Here are a few pictures of the progress so far.

This is how it looked when I purchased it

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

I have had the wheels powder coated in KTM orange they are so nice I didn't want to fit them for fear of damaging the paint.

DSC02404.jpg

DSC02402.jpg

Ordered a set of race fairings from replicast, they are very good quality and I would recommend the company to anyone looking for a race fairing

DSC02406.jpg

DSC02408.jpg

DSC02407.jpg

The project stopped here due to lack of not having any paddock stands, then I found these ok they are not great but they do the job I want for just 40 quid posted from germany. They took just over a week to arrive.

1264006160.62415585.jpg

once the stands arrived they were quickly built and the bike could start taking form. put the fairing on loosely to see what it looked like with them on and I;m very happy with the look. some people are telling me to take off what they call the frilly things that are on both sides at the front but I quite like them. This is where I am so far

utf-8BVW5uYW1lZC5qcGc.jpg

IMG00050-20100310-1637.jpg

You've decided not to go racing in the end then?

I still plan to race, but I first need a bike that is up to the job and I would feel confident to ride without anything failing. The only thing that is hampering me building it at the speed that I want to is funds, I'm getting as many parts as possible with my money but it's frustrating having to wait till the end of the month for more money. I found a few guys that build these bikes for fun and a kid that raced these last year but now rides in the triumph triple challenge.

made a few ebay purchases today a fuel tank and a two complete top ends for £100 all together. the tank is complete apart from the fuel cap and the the barrels will need replating but I will get that done later on maybe I can get a discount for getting them done together.

Barrel.jpg

cylinder.jpg

just bought some more stuff:

06 model forks and braking system

various electrical components

race throttle

switch gear

blanked off powervalve

little update, i've been buying some very nice parts last weekend and they have been arriving this week, most of them came from adam; 06 forks, 06 front and rear brake set up, 17 and 18 tooth front sprocket, talon rear sprocket, and a chain. having a few problems fitting them though as it seems the rear brake caliper is hitting the wheel and the front wheel spindle wont go through the forks, so I may have to buy some 06 wheels which I know are expensive so will put the deadline back a bit but then they do look very nice.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjQtMjAxMDAzMjQtMTE0N.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNjItMjAxMDAzMjQtMTExM.jpg

What size spindle do the 06 forks use? I was thinking of putting 06-on forks on my early bike, would it be possible to fit bearings to suit early wheel and late forks?

What size spindle do the 06 forks use? I was thinking of putting 06-on forks on my early bike, would it be possible to fit bearings to suit early wheel and late forks?

What bike do you have? i wouldn't recommend the forks for any other bike than the rs, they have rebound in one fork and compression in the other unlike every other manufacturers forks. The issue I am having with the spindle is that it goes through the left fork but is too big for the right one and on the rear wheel the caliper is knocking on the top of the wheel

I've got an early RS125 fitted with a Rotax 257 engine. I fancy late model forks cos of the radial caliper. I just need to know the spindle diameter of the new shape bikes so I can check bearings to use the new shape size spindle with old shape wheels.

The strange damping arrangement in the forks will be sorted when funds allow, I've just fitted a Wilbers full race shock so the front will be sorted to match.

the spindle is the same for all the models i think well at least my 2000 model uses the same as the 06 ones. you can get maxton inserts for the forks to make them work properly. where are you based? I may have a spare spindle in my spares box

utf-8BVW5uYW1lZC5qcGc-2.jpg

fitted the tank the other day and it's looking pretty good now. due to me changing this bikes shape to the 06 shape the brakes have been causing some problems as they are designed for the new wheels so I had to revert back to the old shape rear brake caliper so that the brake doesnt knock on the top of the wheel and I was having issues with the front wheel as the brakes werent reaching the disc so I have decided to break the bank and purchase an 06 wheel it may look a bit odd at the beginning but it solves the problems that I have been having and once the bike is completely sorted then I will get it powdercoated orange like my other wheels

• 2 weeks later...

in the next few days im sending the engine off to mick abbey to be rebuilt and have and get a full race tune a the same time, he's going to do some work on the crankcases and all the ports are going to be worked on, he says he cant do anything with the squish as he doesn't have a lathe

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

thanks, im going to get the same design of wheel that the front one is for the rear and get them done in orange. the bike is sort of running, it idles some days and others its a proper fight to get it sorted. but when it does run it screams and the vibrations are crazy, i've got bolts unscrewing themselves and everytime i turn it off theres another pile of bits that have fallen off underneath, sadly i've run out of time on this project so i am going to just source some parts that i need and get a local bike shop to sort the bike out for me.

the bike is sort of running, it idles some days and others its a proper fight to get it sorted. but when it does run it screams and the vibrations are crazy,

how are the crank seals?

Archived