KTMito380

2T Institue

Hi, just thought I would let you know about a little project I'm building for a fellow. Departed from the usual 350 transplant an went for the meanest dirt bike engine made the KTM 380. A few measurements later said all was going to fit in a treat. I am mocking the pipe up ATM, will have a nice spec sheet Aprilia Pegaso Wheels, RS 250 Showa forks, Brembo 4 spots,R6 radiator, Programmable ignition(with TPS, power valve, power jet and flatshift function), RS 125 Maxton shock. Here was the first fitting. Engine wil have a combination of rubber and a moveable front engine mount, starting via rollers.Mito 525 SP fairing will painted in KTM Red Bull colours

001-3.jpg

002-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks ace so far! You seem to have got all the hard work done too. I'll be very interested in how this turns out, should look awesome with the 525 bodywork. :icon_salut:

Might have to disagree on the meanest mx engine ever, that would be a maico 490 but the KTM does come close. Bring on the wheelies!

Might have to disagree on the meanest mx engine ever, that would be a maico 490 but the KTM does come close. Bring on the wheelies!

I want it to run though, have clutch that works on springs not bent washers and be able to change the primary ratio if I want :D

I want it to run though, have clutch that works on springs not bent washers and be able to change the primary ratio if I want :eusa_dance:

Ahh somehow I'd forgotten about the clutch. I was probably too busy trying to hang onto it. Might have some cooling issues with the massive cylinder head too... I've got a few mito bits kicking around and have a mito350 so if you need any bits/help then give me a shout.

Looks interesting,meanest mx engine has to be cr500,as mine keeps trying to stretch my arms!! keep up the good work....

CR 500? Pussy cats(except the first water cooled model 85-86??) , a KTM500/550 show them the way to go, though there is a nice product out now to give the old CR a pep up.

LIGER CYLINDER about 90HP.................how's those arms now :)

sadly the meanest mx engine isnt a cr500 (tho they are really nasty) that title goes to the maico 700

really want a sm one so bad !!!!!!!

good luck with the build tho !!!!

• 1 month later...

Any movement on this project? When I read about it the other month I instantly thought it was the best thing I'd seen in a while.

UPDATES PLEASE :icon_salut:

Yes has been some progress. Funny that Devon as a friend is buying up 5 HUndie bit's ATM :dribble: . Thanks for the link I knew it could be done.I think the chamber is at best woeful nowhere near big or long enough. A 500 will have a tuned length of around 1500mm .We are using Pegaso Strada wheels

RS 125 IOM shock

010-1.jpg

The tail to be used

011.jpg

Chamber mock up

038.jpg

039.jpg

Actually fits in the fairing

057.jpg

Twin discs up front

046.jpg

047.jpg

Cheers

do i spy rs125 wheels? or are those the pegaso ones that you are talking about? what's you mate doing with these parts? is he linked to the guy that's built that bike? the exhaust was designed using some exhaust software so i think its been designed for a certain rev speed.

do i spy rs125 wheels? or are those the pegaso ones that you are talking about? what's you mate doing with these parts? is he linked to the guy that's built that bike? the exhaust was designed using some exhaust software so i think its been designed for a certain rev speed.

Not sure what you mean, but the bike will use Pegaso wheels, Mito wheels/brakes/forks sold off. No my friend in the US bought a KTM 500 mxer and has just about enough bits for 2 or 3 engines. We looked around at frames that had the RH chain drive and the Api 125 seemed to be obvious. We suspected it would be ideal but didn't think it had been done before, til now. Has that bike actualy run yet?

I saw the software screen grabs and wasn't to encouraged by their reasoning bit anyways you have to build plenty of dud chambers before you build a good one.ALL chambers have a tuned length that they work best at, the length and rpm are inversely proportional to each other. High rpm short pipe, low rpm long pipe.

Not sure what you mean, but the bike will use Pegaso wheels, Mito wheels/brakes/forks sold off. No my friend in the US bought a KTM 500 mxer and has just about enough bits for 2 or 3 engines. We looked around at frames that had the RH chain drive and the Api 125 seemed to be obvious. We suspected it would be ideal but didn't think it had been done before, til now. Has that bike actualy run yet?

I saw the software screen grabs and wasn't to encouraged by their reasoning bit anyways you have to build plenty of dud chambers before you build a good one.ALL chambers have a tuned length that they work best at, the length and rpm are inversely proportional to each other. High rpm short pipe, low rpm long pipe.

the blue wheels just looked the same as the ones that are on my race bike. yeah i think he's going for the same idea to get loads of parts together for the inevitable, as fas as i know he hasn't had the bike running yet but I believe it's going to the dyno very soon to have it's first run, its got racing ignition etc so everythings there for it to run. with regards to the exhausts i agree they should make a few exhausts for different race tracks etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not yet ballbag selling a few of the original Mito bits off and I have a big stack of ignitions to program and install. Will post some pics when the engine goes in I have got all the new fibreglass for it and should look a treat painted up.

• 1 month later...

My shed is being torn down to make way for the mega shed, so everything is geeting packed up and off to storage. When I'mm operational again there will be some progress.The only update I have for you is the intended engine tune has been tested in a Swiss supermoto bike and worked extremely well.

• 1 month later...

here you go Ballbag just for you :)While the new 'facility' is being constructed I have been tweeking the simulator and made some progress, this should equate to around 70odd at the wheel

ktm380.jpg

Just to show this isn't imagined this is a mildly tweeked KTM 360. The same fellow has a 380 ready for dirt track racing.Yes I know the dyno operator has the fudge factor turned right up. But that would be about 55HP on our low reading dyno here.

IMG-2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Made some progress on the weekend I'll edit this with some pics when I get the photobucket links

30% of the work was on the bike rest was getting the shed to a workable state.Be a bit more progress mid January. Besides being slack I'm letting the owner do a lot of work. A nice young bloke who is super keen to learn and choc a blok full of crazy ideas. I think if he gets to work on and fabricate bit's for the bike it will be more 'his' than something he just paid someone money to get done.

NewcastleBuildTrip044.jpg

NewcastleBuildTrip043.jpg

NewcastleBuildTrip042.jpg

NewcastleBuildTrip040.jpg

NewcastleBuildTrip045.jpg

NewcastleBuildTrip039.jpg

NewcastleBuildTrip027-1.jpg

NewcastleBuildTrip030.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived