GSXR exhaust riddle

V6Jon

Browsing through the GixerJunkies forum a popular mod for my SRAD750 (96 carb) is to fit the titanium headers from later GSXR's as they are lighter, better flowing etc etc.

The most frequently mentioned mod I have seen is to fit the 750 or 1000 headers from a K1, K2, K3 or K4.

From memory the K1 1000 project in everybodies favorite bike mag has just had its headers replaced with the stock headers off a K7.

And lastly (bear with me) the K7 and K8 are fundamentally the same bikes with just cosmetic differences.

So (look out, there is a point to all of this) . . . . what are the chances of the cheap (£25) stock Titanium headers off a K8 Thou fitting my SRAD ???

:shock:

From memory the K1 1000 project in everybodies favorite bike mag has just had its headers replaced with the stock headers off a K7.

I think they're K5, not K7.

I have no answers for any of your questions though..... :shock:

From memory the K1 1000 project in everybodies favorite bike mag has just had its headers replaced with the stock headers off a K5/K6.

wasn't it?

I doubt that a K8 set would fit, as the K8 has a ferking heeuuuuoooge great catalytic converter collector box thingy underneath.

I thought that too, but looking at this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-GSXR1000-GSXR...=item5883a21165

The headers and collector are seperate, so I would just need a single sided link pipe :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-GSXR-1000-K7-...=item414c1f3c2d

Add a can, some custom brakets,and Bob is your mothers brother as they say !

Though obviously the link pipe may need modifying too.

I thought u=it was the headers from a K3/4 thousand that fit. They are all titanium, didn't think the K1's were...

K1's were Titanium as well.

If you not in a deperate rush I compare my 1000 K8 standard headers with my 750 WT standard headers and let you know, might even througha pic or 2 in for good measure.

Might be able to check it all out tomorrow.

K1's were Titanium as well.

K1 thou' I take it - my Y model 750 (which, AFAIK, was identical to the 750K1) didn't even seem to have the supposed stainless headers Suzuki claimed for them... (mine were painted black and were a distinctly ginger colour by the time winter arrived...)

If you not in a deperate rush I compare my 1000 K8 standard headers with my 750 WT standard headers and let you know, might even througha pic or 2 in for good measure.

Might be able to check it all out tomorrow.

Cheers :icon_blackeye:

I am not in a desperate rush to sort this, but need to get back to him in some way over the weekend, as they are in his way (the engine is now in his race car with a custom system on it).

Right I've had a measure up and to be honest I think its not going to work but if you can get them for £25 I'd give it a shot.

I measured the over all spread of the pipe work and the K8 is 285mm and the WT is 280mm (not a good start) the diameter of the pipe work is slightly different as well K8 internal dia 38mm external dia 45mm WT internal 34mm external 39mm.

The rest of it was a little harder to measure accurately so I took some pictures instead but the drop on the pipework looks very similar but the next problem will be clearing the sump as the K8 has an offset one and the WT doesn't.

Anyway here are the pipes, if you need any other info let me know and I'll try and find out.

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1472-1.jpg

Hope this helps and if you do manage to make it work post some pictures up.

• 5 months later...

Right, zombie thread. The headers will fit a treat if you're builder a streetfighter. The top end of them is a lovely fit, goes on as well as the stock pipes would do, except it's even better as they're easier to lift while you're tightening the bolts up. Clearance on the oil filter is better than with the stock srad pipes, by about an inch. The hanger on the link pipe doesn't line up, it's too low and too far forward, by about an inch in each direction to line up with the hole down by your footpeg, but it's no biggy. However, the downpipes are about an inch lower more or less so the whole of the bottom of the fairing is either touching or within about 3mm of the pipes from cylinders 1 and 4. What a cunt. I'm going to get a bit choppy with my fairings I think. Fucks me right off....

Cheers Lorenzo !

Just out of curiosity which components are you using ? When I start on this I have a set of K2 1000 headers, and a link pipe of a K4 1000.

I will be starting on this as soon as I can get my front wheel powder coated, and the front end re-assembled, so it will be interesting to see just how much bodywork needs butchering, though obviously I can cut mine as necessary before I get it painted.

I've got a full k3/4 system, which I think is the same as the one you've got more or less inch for inch. What I've found is that the slot that exists in the bodywork needs widening. By how much I can't say just yet, but I'm guessing about 10mm either side. The little end bit of the fairing, the bit by the pegs, that'll need a bit cutting underneath, but also a bit of a swoosh cutting out of the side. I'll put up a couple of snaps once it's all done, but as it stands I'm midway along with the dremel, and to be honest, it's pissing me right off, being flicked in the face by bits of melting plastic.

Archived