De greaser for a parts washer

V6Jon

Just ordered a 3.5 gallon parts washer, and was considering what liquid to put in it, made a quick call to the local motorfactors who recomend Jizer but want £75 quid for enough to fill it.

Having looked on the internet people seem to use parafin / diesel / kerosene / white spirit, and mixtures of the above, but also seem to have issues with the chemical disolving the pump / nozzle.

So I wondered if someone could recomend me something to clean my parts with ?

I'm old school and still use a washing-up bowl, paintbrush, and paraffin :lol:

I have a mate who swears by concentrated Karcher pressure washer fluid, or Traffic Film Remover as it's otherwise known. Might be worth a go.

I asked the same question and was advisedagsinst using parraffin.

I've been told that the stuff from machine mart is quite good and it's only about £15 a gallon.

I've had paraffin in my Machine Mart parts washer for the past 3 years or so with no problems whatsoever. Did try the Machine Mart stuff originally but it wasn't that good,("green"+ biodegradeable etc = shit) the paraffin has been much better.

Can't see how it damages the pump/nozzle after all manufacturer(s), Suzuki for one, recommend it for cleaning chains as it doesn't damage/swell O rings.

Parafin every time.

Dirt cheap* and works better than anything else.

* Find a petrol station or somewhere that sells it from a pump, don't buy it in gallon containers. Think I paid 50p a litre last week.

I've had paraffin in my Machine Mart parts washer for the past 3 years or so with no problems whatsoever. Did try the Machine Mart stuff originally but it wasn't that good,("green"+ biodegradeable etc = shit) the paraffin has been much better.

Can't see how it damages the pump/nozzle after all manufacturer(s), Suzuki for one, recommend it for cleaning chains as it doesn't damage/swell O rings.

I've done the same with my parts washer, that machine mart stuff is cack and leaves a horrible film on your hands. Parrafin all the way, its cheap and it works.

Parrifin it is then, cheers guys :icon_blackeye:

Right, just need to fund somewhere that sells it off the pump, and a way of transporting 3.5 gallons . . . . .

Do you reckon they would pump it into a bucket ?

Any reason I can't use diesel or diesel / paraffin mix?

I can see a problem with that. Its all pretty much the same stuff anyway. I use Jet A1 which is just another derivative of the whole kerosene thing. The fact that i get it for a very reduced rate(free!) also helps.

I can see a problem with that. Its all pretty much the same stuff anyway. I use Jet A1 which is just another derivative of the whole kerosene thing. The fact that i get it for a very reduced rate(free!) also helps.

Thanks.

Would you use a degreaser such as Gunk afterwards?

Thanks.

Would you use a degreaser such as Gunk afterwards?

You shouldnt need to, just wipe dry afterwards. I took the clutch pushrod out of my mates bike at the weekend and it was caked in crap and grease as it runs in the sprocket cover right next to the front sprocket. I left it to soak in Jet for a few mins and it just wiped off, easy as you like.

There must have been a good 10mm thick of crap on it and as you know, chain lube is sticky old shit to get off. This came of in pretty much one wipe.

Archived