Hydraulic clutch conversion

cabbie

Here is a simple way to convert a cable clutch to a hydraulic one.

I did this due to the pain I get in my hand when driving in traffic as the blade clutch lever is so hard to pull in

There are a few bits that need fabricating.

First part of the mounting bracket, I just bolted a piece of 4mm alloy plate to the original item and cut round it

Photo019-4.jpg

Here are the other parts, I bought a bling clevis off eBay, a 6mm bolt with the head removed will act as a push rod and a new lever to attach to the old set up, the other piece of alloy plate will be welded to the mount for the slave to bolt to

Photo020-4.jpg

I got the two pieces of the mount welded, I filed down the front weld for a smooth finish.

Photo021-4.jpg

This is a Nissan Vanette clutch slave cylinder welded to the mount.

Photo023-2.jpg

Photo022-4.jpg

I made a lever to bolt to the clutch arm, I had to order a 41" brake line to reach the reservoir

Here's the unit fitted

DSCF0005-8.jpg

DSCF0006-6.jpg

DSCF0007-4.jpg

I had the master cylinder bead blaster to match the front brake cylinder and bought a new Pazzo lever and red cap.

Photo024-3.jpg

Here it is connected to the slave unit and me nervously refitting it not knowing if I got it right with the sums etc.

DSCF0003-20.jpg

I bled out the air, locked up the bleed nipple and gave the clutch lever a pull! it worked and not only did it work it's perfectly, I can operate the clutch with one finger no problem, also the clutch engages half way between the lever being full in and full out, nice!

There is one small problem that I knew would happen is a tiny bit of flex in the mount when the clutch is depressed, this is due to me being flash and cutting the holes up the front, not to worry, a small piece of webbing welded in Monday and that'll solve the problem

DSCF0004-19.jpg

here's the extra bit of alloy welded in place

DSCF0001-1.jpg

15 Minutes later and all smooth

DSCF0002-1.jpg

And job done

DSCF0003-21.jpg

Still had a very small amount of flex in the mount when the clutch was depressed (still due to me cutting the large holes in the front piece) so I've had to add a second brace on the oposite side

DSCF0001-2.jpg

The brace bolts to the engine mounting plate

DSCF0002-2.jpg

Now the mount don't flex any more and the clutch is sooooo easy to operate, nice!

Have you seen the hydraulic clutch kits for pit bikes?

That looks like an impressive conversion!

For a pit bike they are fine but usless for superbike clutches!

Magura do a hydraulic clutch kit for most offroad bikes that would probably be suitable or you could just rob one from another bike, most italian bikes are hydraulic clutches aren't they?

I'm not knocking what you've done, its brilliant and i'm intrigued to the calculations you've used so that you knew it would work.

Magura do a hydraulic clutch kit for most offroad bikes that would probably be suitable or you could just rob one from another bike, most italian bikes are hydraulic clutches aren't they?

I'm not knocking what you've done, its brilliant and i'm intrigued to the calculations you've used so that you knew it would work.

OK, I bought the Venhill hydraulic kit made for the fireblade which is just the pit bike item repackaged, the slave cylinder is about the same size as a pack of Polo mints! it took more effort to pull the clutch lever in than the cable.

Italian bikes have hydraulic clutch as do most modern Jap bikes BUT they are designed in to the clutch covers, with cable opperated lever clutches you have to still move the lever, I wanted a clutch I could opperate with one finger, a car clutch slave cylinder gives that much power.

Archived