Wheel repairs

mattyzx6r

Now then , after my little off last year i was left with this nicely mullered rim (no not that rim). And i was just wondering if anyone had any useful input to as whether this is even repairable , and if you think it is , who's good for the job etc etc.

kawawheel4.jpg

kawawheel3.jpg

kawawheel2.jpg

kawawheel1.jpg

Cheers for any advice you have.

A pair of those sold on ebay last week for £400 and afaik there is a rear on ebay at the mo for about £300.

It is an '07/08 bike yeah?

Sadly I suspect that a handy planter for the garden might be the way ahead.

Amazing what you can do with a few daffs & crocusses :pb2:

I'm not if they are the same wheels but they look like the ZX10R wheels of the same era and iirc didn't has a recall for weak wheels. Worth bearing in mind when either contemplating having it repaired or buying a secondhand replacement.

That's fucked dude, I wouldn't seriously increase the risk of losing my life and/or a lot of flesh off my arse for the sake of saving £300 on a new(ish) pukka wheel.... Not worth it IMO.

At least if you buy a new wheel you'll have your mind at ease. The last thing you need to be thinking about when bollocking a motorbike around is "shit is that a vibration? Has that wheel got worse? Is it gonna let go on me?"... fuck that for a laugh...

Cheers for the replies , yeah it is a OEM jobbie , luckily i got a cheap replacement just after i crashed , but i was thinking along the lines of have it repaired for a 100 of her majesty's pounds , get a front rim of ebay and have a second set of wheels with slicks on for track days , and bob's your teapot .

Ill send moto liner an email with some pictures , see what they say , if its to bad ill weigh it in for scrap .

I can't see the pic Matty but I took a dented alloy rim to a fella in Stockton who is an old-fashioned wheelwright. He fixed it for £60. You cannot tell where the damage was and it was balanced perfectly.

Just found his details - Roy Thursby, Stockton on Tees, 01642 612784

His place is a dump but he's good, if a little eccentric! When I visited he was building, from scratch, a set of wire-wheels for a Mille Miglia vintage car (forget the make). They were beautiful.

Cheers for the replies , yeah it is a OEM jobbie , luckily i got a cheap replacement just after i crashed , but i was thinking along the lines of have it repaired for a 100 of her majesty's pounds , get a front rim of ebay and have a second set of wheels with slicks on for track days , and bob's your teapot .

Ill send moto liner an email with some pictures , see what they say , if its to bad ill weigh it in for scrap .

I don't think I'd want to chance my ass on a welded wheel ... more so if I had slicks fitted to it.

No No No not never ever.

Forged alloy maybe at a push and x-rayed afterwards - but a standard OEM cast alloy wheel ? Not on your nelly.It would probably become porous for one so would leak like a sieve, that's without the weakness/brittleness problems.

I have the front OZ wheel from Yuki's 2004 BSB bike in the spare room, he clipped a kerb at silverstone. I think about getting it repaired and put on the trackbike...

Problem is i'd want a matching rear. That'd cost...

I emailed motoliner late last nite ( only took me a age to get around to it! :eusa_think: ) , got a reply this morning saying its not repairable , so its off to the scrap man she goes. :thumbsup:

Could you not just repair and fit the front OZ timbo? or would only fitting a front only fubar the handling?

And i'd travel to stockton to wank...er i mean watch him making something for a mille miglia competition car! ive been up there for less!

Archived