How do you bleed the oil system?

gook184

Changed my oil and filter, filled her up, flicked the motor over a few times before firing it up.

Fired it up and now the oil light won't go out and there's a scary knocking noise from the top of the engine.

It's been suggested that I might have to bleed the oil system to remove an air lock.

The bike is a ZX6R F2, 40,000 miles, never done this before and only uses half a litre between oil changes.

Please help!

Changed my oil and filter, filled her up, flicked the motor over a few times before firing it up.

Fired it up and now the oil light won't go out and there's a scary knocking noise from the top of the engine.

It's been suggested that I might have to bleed the oil system to remove an air lock.

The bike is a ZX6R F2, 40,000 miles, never done this before and only uses half a litre between oil changes.

Please help!

Sorry, sounds like it is cream crackered, using 0.5L of oil between changes was possibly your early warning!

My Z1000 used to have the same problem, the way I found to cure it was to fire up the motor then loosen off the oil filter slightly until oil starts running out then tighten it back up.

This always worked for me :icon_blackeye:

Sorry, sounds like it is cream crackered, using 0.5L of oil between changes was possibly your early warning!

Plugs always come out the right colour, valve clearances didn't need shims 4000 miles ago, oil consumption only goes up to a half litre under hard use, normal pottering it doesn't use any.

I let it tick over for over a minute and the old girl has resumed normal service :icon_blackeye:

My Z1000 used to have the same problem, the way I found to cure it was to fire up the motor then loosen off the oil filter slightly until oil starts running out then tighten it back up.

This always worked for me :icon_blackeye:

She's good now though!

You've obviously never owned an EXUP... 0.5l between changes would have been a bloody miracle :icon_salut:

You've obviously never owned an EXUP... 0.5l between changes would have been a bloody miracle :icon_salut:

Jeez, what is it with them then? UJM fours are normally so frugal with oil...

You've obviously never owned a 5 valve yamaha ... 0.5l between changes would have been a bloody miracle :icon_puke_r:

Fixed, it's not just exups. My old TRX used to have the same thing going on, as have others with a selection of different yams.

Archived