Bar end prob...

porkscratchin

Lost the throttle side bar end of my gsxr the other day...anyway i'd thought i use the opportunity to fit after market ones so i got them today...

Now the original internal 'female' nut end was lost with the original bar end..

so i get a set of bar ends comprising of:

1. Bar end

2. Bolt

3. Nut

4. Rubber tube thing

5. Metal washer

Now, according to the accompanying instructions the bolt goes through the bar end, the rubber thing goes next followed by the washer then the nut.

the idea is that you then turn the bolt and the nut closes down on the washer which in turn closes down on the rubber and this expands inside the handlefar and into a secure fit.

No it don't!!!!

The nut and rubber thing are just turning in unison and therefore the rubber thing is not being closed down and expanding.

Is it me?

or is there a trick to it?

Confused of Berkshire. ;)

How about...

Get a pair of pliers on it and get it a bit compressed to start with, before fitting it to the bar, so you can then just about press it into the bar and there should be enough friction that it works properly.

I tried tightening mine up the other day as they felt loose. Same happened; whole thing turned. Then I tried to pull them out. Wouldn't budge. I reckoned if I can't get them come out with a tug, then they're not going to fall out. So I left them alone.

See if yours are the same.

If not then try cleaning inside the tube and the rubber bit to improve friction. And maybe greasing the bolt. Should work. In theory...

Well the bar end is on and won't come out unless i twist it off with some force....it just doesn't seem as secure as the original...i'll see how it goes..

i have tightened it first and wedged it in although it's still turning as opposed to gripping...perhaps this is as tight as it gets?

You could bin the rubber gubbins and buy some rawlbolts/expansion bolts in a suitable size?

_12494_164452.jpg

Most off road handguards are held in with this type of thing, so an MX shop might be able to help you out if you don't fancy hunting around builders merchants.

You could bin the rubber gubbins and buy some rawlbolts/expansion bolts in a suitable size?

_12494_164452.jpg

Most off road handguards are held in with this type of thing, so an MX shop might be able to help you out if you don't fancy hunting around builders merchants.

now THAT idea i do like......methinks i shall take one to work with me tomorrow and off to Wickes i jolly well go!

Archived