What shocks will fit a zx6rf3

CHESTER

The shocks from later ZX6R's won't fit because the oil reservoir is not a remote jobby on a hose, it's part of the shock body. All bike engineering quoted me a rough estimate of £150 to rebuild my F2 shock, if it's just an improvement you're after. I've heard that some fireblade shocks will fit. Try ninja6zone.com for more information.

The shocks from later ZX6R's won't fit because the oil reservoir is not a remote jobby on a hose, it's part of the shock body. All bike engineering quoted me a rough estimate of £150 to rebuild my F2 shock, if it's just an improvement you're after. I've heard that some fireblade shocks will fit. Try ninja6zone.com for more information.

Since posting this thread someone on another forum I use has told me they've put a shock from a j on theirs. They've had to raise the battery slightly to fit. The shock on the bike at the moment is a bit manky so I'm not going to go down the rebuild route.

Since posting this thread someone on another forum I use has told me they've put a shock from a j on theirs. They've had to raise the battery slightly to fit. The shock on the bike at the moment is a bit manky so I'm not going to go down the rebuild route.

That's interesting. It sounds like quite a bit of work but not too difficult to do. I'll bear this in mind for the future!

Post photos of it when you've done the job please and good luck! :rock:

By the way, if you don't already know, the stainless exhaust off the later models bolts straight on to an F. Mines wearing one off an A1P :thumbsup: Thank god for smashed bikes and parts bin engineering.

That's interesting. It sounds like quite a bit of work but not too difficult to do. I'll bear this in mind for the future!

Post photos of it when you've done the job please and good luck! :rock:

By the way, if you don't already know, the stainless exhaust off the later models bolts straight on to an F. Mines wearing one off an A1P :thumbsup: Thank god for smashed bikes and parts bin engineering.

I'm waiting for some photos from the guy thats done it but he says it was pretty straight forward. A bit of dremmeling of the undertray should see it fit I would have thought. Thats good to know about the exhaust. I've got a full arrow system on it at the moment though.

I'm waiting for some photos from the guy thats done it but he says it was pretty straight forward. A bit of dremmeling of the undertray should see it fit I would have thought. Thats good to know about the exhaust. I've got a full arrow system on it at the moment though.

Arrow system? Nice! It's hard to get bits like that secondhand for the old F models now and I'm too tight to pay for new.

Arrow system? Nice! It's hard to get bits like that secondhand for the old F models now and I'm too tight to pay for new.

I agree, been trawling ebay but not much on there. Theres a Hagon shock on there at the moment but advertised as spares or repair which makes me dubious.

That's the problem with secondhand things like shocks, you can't tell if they're knackered from a digital photo. Can the Hagon be rebuilt? I was considering one of those when I rebuilt my suspension last winter, I think they're not as adjustable as a standard one and I was offered a rebuilt standard shock anyway so I didn't enquire further. Is there still plenty of low mileage G and J shocks on Ebay? Cutting the undertray might still be the best option.

I've got a ZX9 C model shock in the garage if you want it...same as the ZX6 J model, but harder sprung

What sort of miles has it done and how much were you looking for.

What sort of miles has it done and how much were you looking for.

You can have it for the price of postage (unless you're close enough for me top deliver), and you can always get it rebuilt...

It's got about 20k on it - I swapped it out for a later model one for extra rear ride height

You can have it for the price of postage (unless you're close enough for me top deliver), and you can always get it rebuilt...

It's got about 20k on it - I swapped it out for a later model one for extra rear ride height

You have pm. I didn't know if sluff was a place.

years ago i replaced my f3 shock with a Hagon unit as i couldn't afford anything flasher and was well impressed with it.

the rebound and compression balance are adjusted via a single allen screw, which is fine.

the shock is 2mm longer than oem and i made a 6mm spacer to further raise the rear,

matched to a spring for my weight (80kg in riding kit) and raised the forks 10mm through the yolks

i also had ohlins springs and oil in the forks and with the help of some K tech fiddling at a track day the f3 really improved its handling.

a few years later i added some £25 ebay shortened dogbones to raise the rear end, the old f3 is really flickable and stable, it's been on about 5 track days since and is fine on bumpy roads.

it's not sporty plush like my RSVR but its a good fun, good enough for me not to sell it and use it as snotty hack about/ commuter.

i would consider buying an ohlins etc to be a waste on such an old bike unless you're racing it

years ago i replaced my f3 shock with a Hagon unit as i couldn't afford anything flasher and was well impressed with it.

the rebound and compression balance are adjusted via a single allen screw, which is fine.

the shock is 2mm longer than oem and i made a 6mm spacer to further raise the rear,

matched to a spring for my weight (80kg in riding kit) and raised the forks 10mm through the yolks

i also had ohlins springs and oil in the forks and with the help of some K tech fiddling at a track day the f3 really improved its handling.

a few years later i added some £25 ebay shortened dogbones to raise the rear end, the old f3 is really flickable and stable, it's been on about 5 track days since and is fine on bumpy roads.

it's not sporty plush like my RSVR but its a good fun, good enough for me not to sell it and use it as snotty hack about/ commuter.

i would consider buying an ohlins etc to be a waste on such an old bike unless you're racing it

Thanks for the advice.

Archived