NSR250 Bike of race

2Smoke

Due to popular demand (1 person) here is the chronicle of turning my shagged out mc16 nsr250, into something that might come better than last one day..

Started off with an email off some guy I knew asking about the value of nsr250's, and me basically buying one of them. Never had one before so was interested in trying one out having owned rgv's, tzr's, tdr's and lc's in the past. Anyway, I ended up with this:

P1010045.jpg

Rear cylinder seized, everything that would wear out was worn out so I knew my work was cutout!

Anyway after a deal on the NSR forum, I got some mc18 barrels, pistons, carbs, reeds and heads (a de-restriction in itself) and got the bugger up and running. Fitted the most 1980's wheels I could find, and found some legal tyres! Mot time!

P1010052.jpg

P1010053.jpg

Somehow, it passed! So went for a burger!

P1010057.jpg

Did a few weeks on the road, gave the tdr a break from the daily duties and gave me a chance to learn all about these wierd and wonderful NSR's (and their owners..)

After a camping weekend in shall island, the little NSR decided it didnt like its gearbox any more and did this:

100_1111r.jpg

100_1110r.jpg

100_1112r.jpg

Mad eh?

Anyway after a few weeks i finally got a gearbox to fit it, and she was up and running! I also fitted a fireblade shock which firmed her arse up quite a bit!

DSC_0058.jpg

The I did the pb trackday on the 8th May.. and everything changed...

l194.jpg

l305.jpg

Holy crap.. it goes well! Slow like and a bit funny handling but there was serious potential as a forgotten era racer.. so my mind went into overdrive....

And I got chatting to a nice man who offered me some advice and a set of pipes, but the pipes would be made to fit an mc21 (as the pipes would clear the 'banana' swingarm) so i had to source a swingarm...

The pipes arrived..

DSC_0063.jpg

(in kit form)

and I tried fitting the swingarm to the '16

DSC_0062.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

(a bit high)

DSC_0060.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

Not right so I'll have to make some linkage plates up in the future..

To the front end..

I bought some mc18 forks and yokes off a guy called Andy, who was also at the pb trackday on the 8th. So they'd better be fitted..

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

along with some alloy bars

DSC_0231.jpg

and a Magtek front wheel

DSC_0232.jpg

Now onto the engine, obviously even with the mc18 barrels etc there is room for improvement so I started stripping the engine to get the important bits tuned by the man down south..

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

leaky looking seal

Washed the parts to be sent, even though I know all tuners I know love nothing better than a load of cruddy oil infested parts to tune..

IMG_0430.jpg

A quick check of the crank showed it was on its way out (possibly because of the state of the crank seal)

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

To the front end..

I bought some mc18 forks and yokes off a guy called Andy, who was also at the pc trackday on the 8th. So they'd better be fitted..

DSC_0226.jpg

And there was I looking at this photo thinking, 'Those discs are fucked... and he could really do with a set of CBR 6 spokes!' :eusa_whistle:

Keep up the good work! :rock:

While the engine was out, I found this little beautie

TYE_0975.jpg

TYE_0976.jpg

TYE_0974.jpg

A common problem according to Andy from nsr-world, due to the solidly mounted engine on the nsr250 mc16 (later models had a rubber mounted engine).

And I started making a linkage to fit the mc21 swingarm..

TYE_0968.jpg

gash I know but its only a template..

TYE_0970.jpg

and wheel in

TYE_0971.jpg

TYE_0972.jpg

Lets try the subframe too..

TYE_0969.jpg

And seat and tank.

TYE_0982.jpg

TYE_0980.jpg

While the engine was out, I found this little beautie

TYE_0975.jpg

TYE_0976.jpg

So what have you done about this, and did you make your own rubber bush mounts or have you left it au naturel?

I did what I usually do.. I got drunk and hit it with some stuff..

And no, I left the engine mounts as they are..

Meanwhile, the engine came back (in bits)

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

Lots of money to TYGA later got me some stuff

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

TYE_1518.jpg

TYE_1522.jpg

TYE_1523.jpg

Excellent. Top quality home brew - my favourite tipple! Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. Nekid ideally... :shock:.

Oh man.. Ashbourne 2001.. its all coming back.. ^_^

Back to the bike.. I've got a month to go now so I'd better get my arse in gear! Started offering the pipes up. now the swingarm is on a bit better:

TYE_1546.jpg

And time to get the engine fitted too

TYE_1545.jpg

TYE_1544.jpg

I also started realising my dream of making a sealed airbox out of aircraft aluminium, so a bit of heath robinson stylee bodging later and I have the start of it;

TYE_1550.jpg

TYE_1549.jpg

I'll finish it off a bit better once I get the loom fitted (waiting on a pgm2 to come from Japan). It'll look awesome. I promise!!

I got the pipes welded up and fitted, welder was playing up (some excuse) so it dont look too pretty close up but what the feck..

TYE_1579rs.jpg

TYE_1578rs.jpg

TYE_1577rs.jpg

And fitted the old mc16 electrics to get her running..

I think so, yes. I'll probably look at getting it re-done over the winter. Strengthen it up a little..

Seeing as the pipes were now fitted, it was time to start trying to mount the RS250 bodywork

Using the std mc16 upper fairing mount for the time being::

IMG_0822.jpg

Fairings mounted with cable ties to get them aligned

IMG_0823.jpg

And making up the various brackets and fixings..

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

Jobs for this week are:

Fit swingarm properly; the right hand side spacer needs chopping down a bit.

Sort the ride height out, definetely sitting too low at the back

Sort the front end out, think its got the wrong spacers in it so the front wheel doesnt line up correctly.

Re-weld the exhausts

Finish airbox

So starting today, swingarm was the first job.. Seeing as the lathe is fixed I can trim the spacer down. Copying how far it protrudes on the mc16 swingarm I need to take 5mm off its length.

IMG_0885.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

Before..

IMG_0889.jpg

After..

IMG_0888.jpg

Next up was the ride height. Decided the plates were not going to do the job, I got my gash ones back out to re-drill them and see how it looks..

TYE_2635.jpg

Sat a bit better now

TYE_2636.jpg

TYE_2637.jpg

TYE_2638.jpg

TYE_2639.jpg

Not completely happy with how the front fairing is sitting, looks a bit too high to me but I dunno?

Yeah I've had a few pointers and a picture to study so have a few changes in my head to make.

Its all one big learning curve with the nsr, so far so good though :D

Did a bit more to my oh so pretty airbox today;

Making it fit a bit better

TYE_2646.jpg

Check it against the tank

TYE_2645.jpg

Um..

TYE_2647.jpg

Er..

TYE_2648.jpg

It'll get there I'm sure.. :thumbsup:

Had a bit more of a play with the fairing fit, think this is probably as good as its gonna get

This

TYE_2649r.jpg

or this?

TYE_2651r.jpg

TYE_2652r.jpg

TYE_2650r.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bit drunk at the weekend and entered the first w100 race at anglesey on the 21st of this month.. Bit of a panic getting the bike together so only a couple of piccies today:

Back brake, made a braided line up:

IMG_1053.jpg

And a few gash bits of lockwiring, a less than hrc oil pump blanking plate and bung..

IMG_1054.jpg

Thanks! :)

Only got a week or so to get it ready now..

Started making up the alloy spacers for the front this evening;

IMG_1055.jpg

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

Old and new, bit rough but who gives a shit?

IMG_1060.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived