Spark plugs and all things 'sparky' related...

Gobert23

Spent a bit of time tinkerin' with the Duc' (916 Strada) last night, having just got it back from having the ECU/TPS setup (again!) and that got my thinking...

With the bike previously over-fuelling, it fouled the (new) plugs. Now, they were new plugs (boxed, gapped and fitted) with less than 200 miles on them.

Q. Given that they're 'normal' plugs, can I just clean the black deposits/fuel off them and keep them aside as spares for my next service?

or

Q. Will they be damaged in any way by the deposits on them?

They look like they'll clean up nicely, with a lil' bit of contact cleaner (y'see...)

Given that there's another pair of 'normal' plugs gone into the Duc'...

Q. Is it worthwhile 'upgrading' to iridium or platinum tipped plugs? (Oh nearly forgot, anyone know the correct Part No. for upgraded plugs??)

I'm not in search of more power, just reliability and (potentially?) better service life.

G :eusa_dance:

FWIW, a mate put Iridium plugs in his Bandit 6 and reckoned it started a lot easier and consumed less fuel with them in. I put a set in the ZZR and I can say I noticed any difference.

As for your fouled plugs, clean 'em up with contact cleaner as you say, and I reckon if they look god then give them a try.

I know that some people say that plugs are really easily damaged by flooding and things but from my experience I'm not too sure. My mito350 runs on premix and if I ride it round town too much it fouls the plugs with loads of oil and carbon. I just carry a turbo flame lighter with me in a rucksack and burn all the crap off with that then pop them back in and I havent had any problems yet. I reckon you'll be fine to clean them up and use them again. Don't blame me if it results in catastrophic demolition of your engine though...

I don't know if I'm right here, just putting the idea out there, but I'd have thought that posh plugs, iridium etc, would only mean that they last longer under normal wear, rather than being imprevious to fouling etc. As I see it, carbon stuff will settle on whatever's there, be it platinum, iridium, normal plugs or an old nail with some insulating tape wrapped around it.

Hi G, they're only electrodes so they'll clean up a treat, over and over (although they do transfer bits from post to thingy. Or vice versa?). Small files are just right and every bloke should have his Grandad's feeler gauges to gap them properly. The only thing you have to check for is cracks in the ceramic insulation. Oh and they need a squeaky clean fitting on the cylinder head; no grit or grease where the washer seats. If you're just after reliability and better service life you can't go wrong with the manufacturer's recommended original fitment. HTH and isn't too egg-sucky!

If the standard fit is iridium, then fit them. If not, just go with OE recommendations.

Standard fitment is an ol' copper core number, but I was just wondering... given that, even sparkplug, technology has moved on a bit since the early 90's.

I run NGK iridiums in my old GSXR and did notice a slight improvement in ease of starting and how smoothly it ticked over. Bought a load cheap while I was in the states though.

NGK Iridium plugs don't look to be that much more expensive than the 'stock' plugs these days (some Duc' listed plugs are off the chart, cost wise)

The only trouble I'm having, at the moment, is trying to work out what the correct part number would be...

Gotta be worth a punt, I figure...

Archived