Rm 250 2-stroke

PikeyMikey26

I've purch'arsed myself a 07 RM 250, changed the piston kit over along with the gaskets and top end bearing.

I'm now noticing a fast ticking/knocking noise inline with the engine speed that i cant remeber being there when i bought it. I've switched back to the old piston and bearing to check if it was due to the new parts and it's still knocking away.

Any idea's?

Didn't think about gasket thickness, although i've obviously checked the head and pistons and there is no sign of wear.

Checked play in the big-end and everything s well within tolerances.

Did you check the piston to bore clearance?

Did you set the squish?

I had an RM125 that the piston clipped the head gasket ring on.

Had to file the gasket metal ring back a little to clear, this was on full oversize for the barrel.

To check the squish put a peice of solder accross the top of the piston in line with the gudgeon pin, bolt everything down with gaskets in, turn the engine over by hand past TDC. take the head back off and measure the solder thickness in the squish band area.

Make sure it is not less than 1mm. 1.15mm-1.25mm is good.

Did you check the piston to bore clearance?

Did you set the squish?

I had an RM125 that the piston clipped the head gasket ring on.

Had to file the gasket metal ring back a little to clear, this was on full oversize for the barrel.

To check the squish put a peice of solder accross the top of the piston in line with the gudgeon pin, bolt everything down with gaskets in, turn the engine over by hand past TDC. take the head back off and measure the solder thickness in the squish band area.

Make sure it is not less than 1mm. 1.15mm-1.25mm is good.

I checked the ring to bore clearance which was fine.

Not checked the squish but certainly sounds like i should give it a go...

Many thanks.

Archived