Restoring swingarm

tanuki

Hello

The Gullarm on my NSR has a few scratches and a couple of scrapes and it really lets the rear of the bike down and I want to try and get it as close to standard looking as I can.

Now I realise I will have to polish out these marks but what do I need to do after that to get it looking standard again.

I assume I need to polish the whole thing and then use some sort of mildly abrasive pad to get the standard look back.

any help

thanks

Probably not. The anodising process only seals a few Microns worth of metal however i have in the past removed paint and used scotchbrite to scuff up a swingarm and it was fine. That was on a motorcross bike so it saw some crap thrown at it.

I've just removed paint from a kwak frame and used scotchbrite to give the desired brushed effect and i'm currently doing a swingarm.

As he says--scotchbrite--they used to supply it with certain models of kwak new--i guess incase the silencer got scuffed in transit!!that was a while back though i have used it and it worked well

dont suppose you remember which grade you used to do your swingarm do you?

dont worry if you dont I'll just get a box of medium and fine.

I am doing the same with the NC fork legs so just was talking to a mate, he is currently testing a paint (he works in development for a huge paint company) that has the appearance of brushed alloy, I have stripped my forks today so they are going off to be painted by him.

Will let you know the outcome.

Ive just done my NC frame with the medium scotchbright pads, it was highly polished which i didnt want so attacked it with the scotchbright soaked in ally cleaner and it leaves a nice brushed look. You gota keep the stokes all the same way or it looks shite.

Ive just done my NC frame with the medium scotchbright pads, it was highly polished which i didnt want so attacked it with the scotchbright soaked in ally cleaner and it leaves a nice brushed look. You gota keep the stokes all the same way or it looks shite.

Thanks for that! I too have an NC which one of the previous owner's thought it would be a good idea to polish the frame and swingarm. It looks gash, so I will give the scotchbrite a try when the weather improves.

Thanks for that! I too have an NC which one of the previous owner's thought it would be a good idea to polish the frame and swingarm. It looks gash, so I will give the scotchbrite a try when the weather improves.

Im not sure how it will stand up to the elements yet but its so easy to do its quicker than cleaning it.

Quick question. Would one of these work ok on a scratched satin finish silencer can? or too abrasive do we think?

So if i were to attack the alloy rearsets and pillion pegs on the blade, would it be nice and smooth, or do these have acovering.

Also, if i attacked my rs125 frame and swinger, would it be attacked by rust at all? Its got to go one way, polished, powdercoated or scotched. Woud it damage it or owt?

So if i were to attack the alloy rearsets and pillion pegs on the blade, would it be nice and smooth, or do these have acovering.

Also, if i attacked my rs125 frame and swinger, would it be attacked by rust at all? Its got to go one way, polished, powdercoated or scotched. Woud it damage it or owt?

when you say rs125 i'm guessing you mean an aprilia. If it is the aprilia then I know a few people that have rubbed down the frame and have had no problems

I think the main thing here is that you have top remove any laquer/anodising first to get and even finish..

So with regards to your pegs on the blade and RS you would need to polish them (to a degree) first.

I shall be in the shed this weekend with a bucket of water, some wet and dry and a cold hand!!

I think the main thing here is that you have top remove any laquer/anodising first to get and even finish..

So with regards to your pegs on the blade and RS you would need to polish them (to a degree) first.

I shall be in the shed this weekend with a bucket of water, some wet and dry and a cold hand!!

Cheers for the answers lads.

A dash of soap, fairy liquid, will help stop the wet and dry clogging up and have you tried warm water? :thumbsup:

A dash of soap, fairy liquid, will help stop the wet and dry clogging up and have you tried warm water? :lol:

cheers for that.....yes I suppose I could try warm water....

fucking sicko

Moi! :lol:

Yeah it'll do it. Only thing is it'll wreck the bearings in your drill so ake sure you use an old shitty one. When I was about 13 I used my dads decent drill with some flap wheels in it to clean up a set of spannies and he wasn't best pleased when he next went to use it and it would only drill oval holes...

cool cheers....I'll be using it with my mini grinder thing and my compressor!

hmmm could pop in ti hein gerrik and get some 2T oil on the way.

five fucking hours I have just spent getting whatever it is that Honda put on the ally off.....my arms are killing and I am covered in compound!!

still its %90 done now I can go at it with the wet and dry to try and get some of these scratches out before going over it one more time with the polisher before scotchbriting it...

this was a far bigger job than I anticipated!!

Tell me about it. I once sanded a MkII golf right back to bare metal. By hand. Admittedly there were two of us but it still took two days. Still the more time you take over the preparation then the better it looks. This was all done with halfrauds rattle cans and a bit of old skool lead slinging by myself

13.jpg

Archived