SRAD 600 Has anyone seen fifth gear?

Grumpyduck

Just a quick question to anyone who may have had this before.

My 97 600 SRAD has lost fifth gear, all the others are there and the 'box works perfectly in every other respect, up and down.

Its just when you arrive at 5th going up the 'box, it won't select and sounds like there is a loose bag of spanners inside, on selecting 6th everything is fine again.

Coming down the box everything is fine as long as its on zero throttle, as soon as you attempt to put any power through 5th the noise starts again until 6th 0r 4th is selected.

Clues/Ideas/Abuse...?

Thanks

GD

I don't have a clue.

But if my bike did that in one gear only, I'd stop riding it and get someone to take the gearbox apart before bits of the fucked gear jammed the whole thing solid at anything more than walking pace, IYSWIM.

Looks like a selector fork problem (bent or worn) definately worth a strip to check it out,look out for metal particles in oil as you drain. Sorry to say I only have parts list for 750s but try this place got it from MarkBs problem:::http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm.

His prob. was in Workshop Nov01 till Dec 06 . Page 6

any help needed .call

Keith

Cheers Mark, I cant get 5th and 5th is all you have...one good gearbox between us !!

I will have to go the strip route (eventually) At the moment time is precious and scarce, hopefully it will keep going for now. I am short shifting between 4th and 6th with an ear on the gearbox ..

GD

Krazyk recommeded here for a gearbox -

http://www.meltedsliders.co.uk/

Will be interested in what you find when you split engine.

I'd recommend them for srad stuff in general. I called about a steering damper and they had a selection, all at good prices, and with sensible postage fees too.

Melted sliders?

That`ll be a 2 minute walk from my house!

I'll warn them next time I deal with them then.

If anyone needs a good 600 gearbox and selectors just pm me, I've one in the garage.

Archived