Q. Anyone got any top tips for repainting disc carriers?

Gobert23

This may be one of those jobs which involves 'getting/giving it to someone who can', but I can't see why I can't clean up a set of discs, actually the disc carriers/centres myself...

I've got a set of early Brembo discs (for my Strada), where the 'paint' finish on the carriers has started to (badly) flake and peel away.

Other than using a (nasty) rattle can, does anyone have any ideas on how to clean these back and re-furbish them to look like new??

G :icon_salut:

i've painted a few on my disk carriers and the masking up is the longest part of it.

Clean them in the kitchen sink or dish washer first.

Mask up the mating surface and put it on the wheel, then draw round the wheel so when you cut the tape and spray the paint isn't on the matting surface.

I used 5 wheels silver because it was a close enough match to standard colour then put them in the oven to warm through (not hot just warm). Then I sprayed them, let them dry, then in and out the oven to cure the paint.

Works fine.

You can use brake caliper paint if you want a different colour

i've painted a few on my disk carriers and the masking up is the longest part of it.

Clean them in the kitchen sink or dish washer first.

Mask up the mating surface and put it on the wheel, then draw round the wheel so when you cut the tape and spray the paint isn't on the matting surface.

I used 5 wheels silver because it was a close enough match to standard colour then put them in the oven to warm through (not hot just warm). Then I sprayed them, let them dry, then in and out the oven to cure the paint.

Works fine.

You can use brake caliper paint if you want a different colour

They´re now called BAKE discs ;)

Why can't you split the carrier/disc?

Honestly don't reckon you'll get a decent result without seperating them.

I wouldn't honestly know where to start, in splitting a set of discs from their carriers... Also, I've never been able to find anyone that'll supply just the bobbins (from previous experiences).

As I said, I can see this turning into a job that'll need handed over to someone else, if I want to make a decent job of it (and that I do...)

Leave em, it's not the end of the world.

True, but these discs aren't about the 'working' aspect and much more about having the correct part(s), in good clean condition, on the 916 Strada.

I been very carefully restoring all the original parts (making sure that the parts are the correct year, stamp, etc).

G ;)

True, but these discs aren't about the 'working' aspect and much more about having the correct part(s), in good clean condition, on the 916 Strada.

I been very carefully restoring all the original parts (making sure that the parts are the correct year, stamp, etc).

G :)

ahhhh - um

if your restoring to any kind of original then you'll probably want the carriers re-anodised. I had the washers on my Bimota disks (similar to yours) replaced by Stealth Engineering ... cost about £50 including postage there and back. they make disks so they can probably get them re-anodised - ask them for a quote.

Or try the the anodisers in Brighton they have a post in the Trade Pinboard section.

Archived