Bike not starting?

Eddie_fb

GSXR750XK5 not run regularly since September  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Bike turns over for ages, but not firing?

• Fill with fresh fuel, shake it about, try again?
    • Remove tank, drain, fill with fresh fuel, try again?
    • Give it up, it's knackered?
    • Ride it more, you poof?

Hi all, as per the above poll really, as I'm looking to sell the GSXR750, I haven't been riding it since September. Battery has been on charge, so it turns over for 10 mins or so. I have no reason to believe it's anything electrical, it all worked fine when last ridden? I figure it's probably old fuel, but probably has no more than 30 miles left in the tank? I'm hoping you all pick fill with fresh fuel, cos that'd be really easy, and I am lazy!

Cheers.

Could try fresh fuel, immobilser fitted? Any faults showing up with the FI when turning key on? Fuel filter gunged up?

WD40 on the kill switch, or maybe just flick it back and forth a bit. Then check your fuses. Then start it easily. If your petrol has 'gone off' to the extent that it won't even try to start then I'm guessing that you've not used the bike in about 18 months minimum; I've bought bikes that I know have been sat around for a year and have started on manky fuel without any problem once the batteries charged. Scotties SRAD that I bought in Novemeber hadn't run since June, went 2nd go with a jump start.

You could try fresh fuel but i doubt it would go off that quickly.

Does leaving a bike outside in winter make the fuel go off quicker than it if was in a garage?

More likely to be damp i would think.

Hi all, as per the above poll really, as I'm looking to sell the GSXR750, I haven't been riding it since September. Battery has been on charge, so it turns over for 10 mins or so. I have no reason to believe it's anything electrical, it all worked fine when last ridden? I figure it's probably old fuel, but probably has no more than 30 miles left in the tank? I'm hoping you all pick fill with fresh fuel, cos that'd be really easy, and I am lazy!

Cheers.

If you had no more than 30 miles left in the tank in september, my gues is that enough of it has evaporated in those five months for there not to be enough in the tank to start it. Try putting a couple of litres of fresh fuel in, check your plugs, check your kill switch.

I bet it starts.

Isn't it also the case that during the winter months, condensation forms on the inisde of the tank many times over the winter months and presumably dilutes the fuel each time. So if there wasn't much fuel to start with, you may be trying to start the bike on water vapour!

Right, an update......Got down to the plugs this evening, took em out, turned the engine over quite few times (probably for a couple of minutes in total). Plugs back in, air filter on, tank back on, turned over again, no throttle, sounded like it really wanted to go. So a tiny crack of the throttle, and it fires! Starts to run, then dies almost immediately? Then we're back to square one, same problems of not starting.

I figure I'm on the right track, plugs were wet when I took them out, should I leave the plugs out overnight to let the bores dry out? Then try again?

On the plus side I can get the tank off, air filter off, plugs out, clean the plugs with contact cleaner, turn it over a few times, get it all back together in less than 40 minutes! Quite pleased with that!

If it's run for more than a couple of seconds, anything that you'd want out of the bores will be out anyway, in terms of moisture etc.

Have you given it any fresh fuel, even just a fivers worth?

It's buggered , i'll give you a tenner for it , :eusa_whistle:

new plugs , fresh fuel she'll go , dont try spinning it over without the plugs in as the fi system squirts a lot of fuel into a cold engine and you could end up wetting the new plugs

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, well I caved and put fresh fuel in as well (as a side note, don't take the fuel pump out, and shake the tank over a drain? Turn's out the missus thinks the house stinks of unleaded now.....I quite like the smell?)

Plugs were cleaned again, as I really don't want to have to buy new ones, they're about £75! However, still nothing. I will try and get a video on youtube, so you can hear the starting procedure, but all I can think of is the plugs? At least one was fairly wet, but like I say I cleaned it pretty well, do plugs get that knackered that quickly? The bike has only done 3700 miles, so I'll be pee'd off if they are kaput already?

To recap, bike turns over for ages, so not battery/kill switch related, now the fuels done, what is left?

Cheers, Eddie.

Take one of the plugs out, hold it about 2mm from the engine, and then turn the engine over. You're looking for a nice big blue spark. An orange spark doesn't count, blue is the one. No spark at all means you've an electrical fault (kill switch, sidestand switch, clutch switch, fuses?) orange spark means a faulty spark plug/too low a battery, big blue spark means yuo've either a fuelling or a compression problem. Or maybe timing. Or your bike's disobeying the laws of physics.

Well yes, I'd say you've got at least one dead plug and I'd also say that you've got a bit of juice in your battery. However, the whole experiment is a bit more than I thought you'd do. I meant to take 1 plug out and check it was sparking, not all of them! That said, you might not have found the duff one if you'd have done that. To be honest, it's pretty difficult to see what the sparks look like on the video, but I'm sure you could see for yourself what colour they were, orange or blue. Orange= knackered, blue= OK.

Well, another update, not that you all care by now!!!

Got some plugs, and a feeler gauge from my local motor factor, £4 a plug, Suzuki wanted £10 a plug! Gaps checked, plugs fitted, airbox & tank fitted, first press of the button and she fires and runs sweetly! Thank you for all your help!

As an aside, the Missus was cooking, so I had to look after Arthur, who's 14 months old. He was in a backpack child carrier thingy, and I could feel him shaking when I first started the bike. But, after a couple of minutes he was making brmmm brmmm noises, and kept pointing at the clocks, over my shoulder. There is hope for him yet! When can I get him a mini moto I wonder ? :)

As an aside, the Missus was cooking, so I had to look after Arthur, who's 14 months old. He was in a backpack child carrier thingy, and I could feel him shaking when I first started the bike. But, after a couple of minutes he was making brmmm brmmm noises, and kept pointing at the clocks, over my shoulder. There is hope for him yet! When can I get him a mini moto I wonder ? :ph34r:

We must have a video of this! ;)

Archived