Sprocket for Marchesini wheel

bigkev

Hello all

I am fitting a pair of Marchesini's to the YZF but I cant seem to find asprocket off the shelf, B&C express say they can make one up but surely these wheels must be quite popular? The ones they list are 100mm PCD and this hub seems to 59mm PCD , they came off a 2005 R1 so they have been around for a while am I missing something stupid.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hello all

I am fitting a pair of Marchesini's to the YZF but I cant seem to find asprocket off the shelf, B&C express say they can make one up but surely these wheels must be quite popular? The ones they list are 100mm PCD and this hub seems to 59mm PCD , they came off a 2005 R1 so they have been around for a while am I missing something stupid.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hiya,

Marchesini Rims use a cush drive unique to them which is why you won't find a sprocket to fit. I had the same issue, and got B&C to make a bespoke one - it doesn't cost any more, of if that has changed now it'll be minimal. Just call them, give them the PCD and how many teeth you want and away you go.

Hope this helps. :)

I had no trouble getting sprockets for a BST carbon wheel-the very same hub as a marchesini and in fact i remember the dealership specifying that the sprocket was for a marchesini-style hub. Afam definitely do sprockets for them.

Find whichever Ducati uses the same kind of wheel and order based on that.

My ST4s uses five spoke Marchesinis.

A

Find whichever Ducati uses the same kind of wheel and order bahttp://pbmagforum.co.uk/style_images/ip.boardpr/folder_editor_images/rte-redo.pngsed on that.

My ST4s uses five spoke Marchesinis.

A

I think the Ducati's use the 76mm hub / 100mm PCD sprocket carrier.

Not being funny or anything but how are you calculating the PCD? - should be the distance between the centres of two adjacent mounting studs divided by .5878 for a 5 stud sprocket carrier......

first of all guys we need to establish whether it's a Marchesini OEM Wheel or a magnesium racing wheel.

The Ducati's have Marchesini Rims as standard, but these are OEM Aluminium rims, not the Magnesium racing rims. The hubs are different on both as the racing rims have the hub and cush integrated into the one component to save weight.

From my understanding you may find the OEM Ducati marchesini's are to a Ducati Design, thus have a different set of dimensions, hence the availability of off the shelf AFAM, DID etc.

It's probably worth giving renthal a quick bell to discuss with them. However that said, my Marchesini Rims on my '94 Supersport have a 100mm PCD so perhaps Ducati / Marchesini have standardised now.

However, BigKev, i'd still look to find out a bit more as your case is different if you have a Marchesini Magnesium Rim there's a good chance as I said above it won't be a shelf item. Sprocket and chain mfr's always furnish oem fitments - they won't make bespoke unless you're being sponsored :eusa_think: which is where B&C/Renthal come in.

FOR GOBERT;

PCD stands for Pitch Centre Diameter. It is the diameter of a circle that is used to set the wheel nuts on.

On a 4 stud wheel it is easy to find the PCD . Just measure from the centre of one stud to the centre the opposite stud. This will work for any even number of studs.

Please note there are two PCDs that are very similar. These are 4" (101.6mm) and 100mm; as these are so close some people get some measurements wrong as they just read as 4" if they are used to using imperial measurements or read 100mm if they are used to metric measurements. Fortunately for us motorcyclists we always were metric unless you own old british or american stuff.

For other stud patterns ie 3 or 5 stud the above way will not work. There is another way that will work on any stud pattern including those with an even amount of studs. We need two measurements, A and B.

Dimension A is the overall diameter of the centre bore (hole in the middle of the wheel - which will be different with or without bearing)

Dimension B is the distance from the edge of the centre bore to the centre of any stud.

To work out the PCD is easy. Simply add A + B + B.

So our wheel bore centre for argument sake is 66mm, and the centre of the bore to the nearest stud centre is 23mm

To work the PCD it's 66 + 23 + 23 = 112mm

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

I have Braking aftermarket wheels fitted to my track bike and the rear uses the same sprocket as Marchesini - Talon confirmed this when I ordered a rear sprocket off them last week - which have a 76mm centre and a 100mm PCD.

I only posted what I did in case the original poster did not know how to calculate the PCD - his figure of 59mm is very close to the the correct measurement between studs of 58.78mm for a 100mm PCD / 5 stud sprocket carrier which used on a lot of Marchesini's.

The info I posted is the correct way to calculate the PCD for a 5 stud sprocket carrier.

Please see below for further info.........

PCD Calculator

• 3 weeks later...

Well its all sorted out, turns out I didn't know how to measure the PCD of a five stud hub after all :)

Bought a standard 100mm sprocket from B&C and its all gone together perfectly. Thanks for all the info guys muchly appreciated :eusa_whistle:

Archived