Removing valve seals and guides

lorenzo

Is it just a case of pulling on the seals with some snipe nosed pliers? Also, how do I get the valve guides out? Drill? Tips from people in the know appreciated.

Seals with a pair of pliers.

The guides can be a pain. Get the head nice and warm (oven/blowtorch - needs to be too hot to hold) and usually with a hammer you can tap them out.

If you dont want to reuse the head you could ofcourse drill.

Seals with a pair of pliers.

The guides can be a pain. Get the head nice and warm (oven/blowtorch - needs to be too hot to hold) and usually with a hammer you can tap them out.

If you dont want to reuse the head you could ofcourse drill.

Head's knackered anyway and is being used in an ornamental capacity anyway. Out with the black and decker!

butcher them out with a hammer and chisel, from the port side not the spring seat side - you wont need to pull the seals off then. you can get weird stem seal shaped pliers to remove seals.

Hope you paid postage on that B&D, scumbag! :icon_salut::icon_salut:

Nope. That's the beauty of shoplifting. If they try and get you, just shove the drill in the inside of your coat and act menacing, saying stuff like "I've got a tool, don't try and stop me"

So which way exactly should I be attacking them? From the port side with the intention of whacking them up towards where the cams were, or the other way?

Nope. That's the beauty of shoplifting. If they try and get you, just shove the drill in the inside of your coat and act menacing, saying stuff like "I've got a tool, don't try and stop me"

So which way exactly should I be attacking them? From the port side with the intention of whacking them up towards where the cams were, or the other way?

From the port side with the intention of whacking them up towards where the cams were

Try sticking the cylinder head in the oven for 30 minutes at a high temperature first, if you get the head hot, the guides will come out easier. As mentioned you use a tap on the bottom of the guide, turn the hot head upside down, balance it on a couple of blocks of wood so the end of the guides are not touching anything and then hit the guides with a chisel and hammer from the valve head end of the guide. The guides are a tight fit but will come out. If you want to re-use the guides, I would strongly recomend getting a stepped drift, that is one where the tip of the drift goes into the hole running down the inside of the guide and then has a step that contacts the bottom of the guide, if you dont have that, make sure you use a drif that is wider than the bottom of the guide otherwise you will damage the bottom of the guide knocking it out..

Not going to be reusing anything from a proper mechanical perspective, it's more a bit of a 'domestic appliance' once I've finished doing what I'm doing. Sorry, it's a secret...

Archived