More SRAD woes

southwestbiker

Right, does anyone know anything about the automatic shut off on the fuel tap/spout on a 96 SRAD fuel pump? Its doing my head in, and the search function on here wont let me search for "fuel tap" as it doesn't like 3 letter words.

As far as i can remember, when i used to take the fuel pipe off the tank, there was never any leakage from the connection on the bottom of the tank.

However when i decided to take the tank off at the weekend, i removed the pipe, and fuel came out like it was coming out a tap and wouldn't stop.

Cue finger over the end and balancing it "just right" upside down to stop the leaking and a lot of fuel over the road outside.

Anyone any ideas what to look for, i'm hoping its a stick float/valve or something similar, but i ain't got the foggiest?

Anyone had a similar issue? Or of course, anyone wanna tell me I'm an idiot and it always did that?

Cheers! :(

This is a complete guess as I've not probed my new bikes fuel tap too much, but doesn't it have a vacuum type arrangement which means it only flows if there's a vacuum on another hose from the carbs? I'm guessing there's a split diaphraghm in there somewhere, if this is the case.

Hi,it's called a fuel valve in Haynes book

and there is a test section in there

basicaly:no fuel should flow without

the ignition on and turning starter motor.

So fuel flow is indicative of damaged diaphram.

Book also states : replace complete unit,

no internal parts available.

I will however check the parts list later

when I get on computer later.

Keith

Nice one, cheers guys!

Am i going to have a problem if i just run the bike like it is, just being wary if i have to take the tank off when its full?

Don't know but I bet it's a straight swap for loads of other suzukis from the same era. I know when I had a problem with my trx the fuel tap was common to about 80% of the yamaha range, I'd imagine it'd be a similar scenario here.

Righto, best get that fixed then!

I tell you, when i bought this bike, i thought a 14 year old SRAD for £500 was to good to be true, now im starting to see the reality.

Ah well, at least im getting around the bike and seeing bits of it i havent seen before!

Thanks again for all the advice!

fuel valve oe part nr. is 44300-33E00. also req´d is seal part nr. 44351-33E00

dont know how much they cost but wouldn´t be to much.

I´ve searched obay and could only find fuel pump set complete, starting at around 15 quid.

K

Archived