Steering dampers on an SRAD

lorenzo

Can i fit a 916 style damper, an across the yokes sort, to my otherwise stock SRAD, or do I need some kind of posh screen/mirror brace to allow it to go on without hitting things? OK, if that's a problem, using the little dongle on the left hand side of the frame (which I assume is for a damper?!) what length and stroke would I need to fit a normal fork to frame type on there?

had the posh harris/ohlins kit on my 750WW but that needed the screen brace. had the simpler (think it was sprint, not 100% sure) kit on my 600 that worked fine with the stock screen brace (although I still fitted the ally brace as had one lying around). the trick is in the damper being at an angle...

bikepics-1190112-full.jpg

Do you have a 600? I think the 750 came with one didn't it? If so my mate might have a standard one

Nope it's a 750, but only the later injected ones had them as standard. I actually bought a standard one off a late bike recently, but the yokes are different on earlier bikes, and as that'd involve new yokes and potentially new bearings too, I decided to look into aftermarket ones.

So, the verdict is that this probably isn't going to fit without a different screen brace, yes?

Nope it's a 750, but only the later injected ones had them as standard. I actually bought a standard one off a late bike recently, but the yokes are different on earlier bikes, and as that'd involve new yokes and potentially new bearings too, I decided to look into aftermarket ones.

So, the verdict is that this probably isn't going to fit without a different screen brace, yes?

Correct, you will need a Harris type screen brace.

Alternatively, the Ohlins side mounted damper for the SRAD has a part number OHL-SD005, which should be a 150mm stroke damper.

You'll also need the clamp for the fork leg as well, 54mm diameter from memory...

I`ve got srad 750wx and use an ohlins damper fitted 916 style across the yokes and have standard screen brace. It mounts using the yoke nut and the two allen bolts for the fuel tank. No need to `angle` the damper.

If you need a pic let me know. Hope this helps.

I`ve got srad 750wx and use an ohlins damper fitted 916 style across the yokes and have standard screen brace. It mounts using the yoke nut and the two allen bolts for the fuel tank. No need to `angle` the damper.

If you need a pic let me know. Hope this helps.

A pic would be great, especially showing how it does or doesn't interefere with the screen brace at full left and right lock.

I might, if it looks like a bit of a gamble, have a punt on this ebay damper, and if it doesn't fit, then I'll see what's what after that. One of my ebay gambles has to pay off sooner or later...

A pic would be great, especially showing how it does or doesn't interefere with the screen brace at full left and right lock.

I might, if it looks like a bit of a gamble, have a punt on this ebay damper, and if it doesn't fit, then I'll see what's what after that. One of my ebay gambles has to pay off sooner or later...

Took a while to set up again `cos mines like this at the moment due to requiring a new gearbox and being skint.

wot no engine ?

damper001.jpg

anyway some pics

damper004.jpg

damper005.jpg

damper003.jpg

damper002.jpg

This is model number. Got mine off fleabay ages ago. Guy had an ohlins shock as well but missed out on that so still looking out for one or something similar at right money.

damper.jpg

That's awesome that is, thanks very much mate. I had it worked out in my head that the body was fixed to the chassis, not the rod, it all becomes clear now how it all works. Great stuff, thanks very much.

I take it they must have changed the style of the mounting bracket. The Harris 916 style one I had fitted to my SRAD used the two tank mounts and the right screen brace mount on the frame, which meant I had to use the yoke mounted screen brace.

It was a right pain in the arse if you wanted to get the tank off. I either had to loosen the top yoke nut or remove the rear tank mount/hinge!

So, sorry If I led you up the garden path Mr Lorenzo!

I know what you're saying senni, I've seen some that also use the brace bolt for the fitting, but luckily, it doesn't look like this one does. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't get too many more bids!

The damper's a WLR one. Ideally, the right damper for me would be something that's adjustable and does it's job without being intrusive, and as cheap as can be. I'm not especially fussed about buying a big name brand one for the sake of it, so something like this sounds pretty much like it fills the criteria, providing it doesn't get bid up too much.

I had something different again for my 750WV and 750WW. I bought a Hyperpro Damper and it came with a brackets that used the front tank mounts and the clip on securing mounts on the underside of the top yoke. Nice bit of kit worked a lot better than the stock one on the WW.

When I swapped my WW for a TLS I was able to buy the different brackets needed to fit it to that and they were the same type. No messing with screen braces.

If I were you I'd spin the clamp on the body through 180 degrees so that it is mounted inbetween the 2 ball bearing type projections on the damper body. At the moment the way you've got the damper mounted will put a lot of lateral load on the seals and bearings of the damper.

<steering damper anorak mode/on>

You might also want to have a look at swapping the whole shebang around through 180 degrees.

I think the damper is designed to be mounted so the the adjuster knob is on the LHS of the bike, not on the right as you've got.

That way you can adjust the damper using your left hand, whilst riding along, see?

PBchipshop7.jpg

See if you can swap the mounting bracket off the front of the tank round the other way, so the arm comes up on the RHS of the bike.

Instructions are here http://www.ohlins.com/Products/MountingIns...ns/MI_SD176.pdf

<anorak mode/off>

HTH

Ive just fitted a side mounted WP damper, ive not had chance to test it properly yet, but it doesnt half look cool!

Fitted easy too, fork leg and two points on the frame. Loads cheaper on the bay than the top mounted ones too, about £40 i think. Oh, and its anodized gold :bdaysmile:

<steering damper anorak mode/on>

You might also want to have a look at swapping the whole shebang around through 180 degrees.

I think the damper is designed to be mounted so the the adjuster knob is on the LHS of the bike, not on the right as you've got.

That way you can adjust the damper using your left hand, whilst riding along, see?

PBchipshop7.jpg

See if you can swap the mounting bracket off the front of the tank round the other way, so the arm comes up on the RHS of the bike.

Instructions are here http://www.ohlins.com/Products/MountingIns...ns/MI_SD176.pdf

<anorak mode/off

HTH

Thanks - will do that weekend. You watch, it`ll fowl the screen brace now !

Realised i`d put damper back on for the pictures the wrong way round so it is correct way round normally but thanks for the tip on the yoke mount bracket. When i bought it i, err, assumed ( obviously wrongly `cos i didn`t look at the instructions either) that previous owner had set up correct.

(Note to self - trust no one)

Thanks to the guys who have the knowlege

Pipped at the post with seconds to go by the look of it

yep, but I've other irons in the fire, and one's made by ohlins and is currently mucho cheapo....

More arse and bollocks etc. I can confirm, quite categorically, that as nice as the harris kit looks, it does need a different screen/mirror brace. Anybody want a harris steering damper kit for an SRAD?

Archived