Blackbird brakes

jaycee

A bloke I know has asked me if I would change the brake lines on his Blackbird. I remember from helping a guy years ago to replace the fluid on a VFR800 that there are loads of pipes, 8 or ten springs to mind.

Is it as bad a job as I imagine?

Is this where my shiny new Mityvac comes into its own?

Should I tell him to sod off and pay someone instead?

Helped my BiL replace all the hoses on his VFR800 with a set of braided Goodridges last summer. Yes, it's a pig of a job. Took us about 6 hours and that was with a vacuum bleeder to help the bleeding. Blackbird system is very similar if not identical to the VFR one. Like all these jobs the sense of satisfaction afterwards is directly proportional to the hassle factor, so we were very pleased with ourselves and he really noticed a difference to the brakes. Make sure you follow the stepwise bleeding procedure. We found a leak and had to start all over again!

A horrible job. I have no tips to aid the process, but I could perhaps suggest doing a Zammo: Just say no. Except he didn't.

22812.png

Bet you can un link the brakes if you want to if you are changing the hoses? Would probably be able to do this with a conventional 3 line kit. As usual, I could be talking complete bollocks.

Just did a quick search and there are a couple of HEL delink hose sets on ebay. Simples

Bet you can un link the brakes if you want to if you are changing the hoses? Would probably be able to do this with a conventional 3 line kit. As usual, I could be talking complete bollocks.

Just did a quick search and there are a couple of HEL delink hose sets on ebay. Simples

I suggested this to him tonight in the pub, he said no, he liked the linked brakes. I suggested he has just lost the ability to brake properly after all these years of CBS :rolleyes:

Unlinking the brakes isn't especially hard but then it'll open another tin of worms in terms of master cylinder ratios. The back brake will be next to useless. It'll also leave you with a load of extra stuff on the front caliper carriers that you don't use but is having on because it's part of the same mechanism. Anyway, for a road bike, the CBS is actually quite good.

Unlinking the brakes isn't especially hard but then it'll open another tin of worms in terms of master cylinder ratios. The back brake will be next to useless. It'll also leave you with a load of extra stuff on the front caliper carriers that you don't use but is having on because it's part of the same mechanism. Anyway, for a road bike, the CBS is actually quite good.

De-linking is the way forward, too much crap to go wrong, typical Hodna, over complicated.

Archived