Pop quiz, what the hell is this?

heds954

I recently bought a set of Micron downpipes. According to the gumph that came with them, they're black chromed steel road legal race pipes for a 95 cbr600 Steelie. However, and here's the tricky bit, do they actually need an end can, or is is this an early short modern motogp style setup even though these were made in 96?

As you may notice from the photos below, although they have spring clip lugs for the uppers to the cylinder head and from the main section to the four uppers, the system doesn't have spring clips or a flange (snigger!) to hold on a silencer and the main section also has an inner sleeve that further down has perforations just like a silencer has?

I'm confused :wacko:

main section showing spring clip mounts for 4 upper sections

P1020152.jpg

t'other end, notice the inner sleeve and lack of spring clip brackets or flange (snigger - again) for silencer attachment

P1020149.jpg

a bit closer

P1020147.jpg

a bit closer still, but notice the inner is perforated further down, like a silencer? :eusa_wall:

P1020148.jpg

one of the four uppers complete with spring clip mounts...

P1020151.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on this purlease!? :pb2:

Although I suspect that your micron system is of better design than my VFR stainless cheapo system I got off ebay, it too had a section hald way down it that had a perforated baffle in there. What diameter is the outlet on the big single pipe? I'm guessing you're going to want a link pipe and a can on there.

Nice pink shirt by the way. Pfft.

Although I suspect that your micron system is of better design than my VFR stainless cheapo system I got off ebay, it too had a section hald way down it that had a perforated baffle in there. What diameter is the outlet on the big single pipe? I'm guessing you're going to want a link pipe and a can on there.

Nice pink shirt by the way. Pfft.

The exit is approx 62/63mm... what gets me is there is nothing to attach a silencer too? :D

No doubt Zakalwe will be along shortly to thank you for the compliment for the rather garish pink striped shirt

(I'm told that only men of a certain age wear pink :( )

<Ahem>

As i said earlier, get it stuck on, get it jetted. if needs be, stick a removable baffle in it*. I reckon it'd be awesome!

*end cans are for losers.

Aye, we'll give that a shot first of course (be rude not to! :) ) but if anyone does know anything about this design of Micron exhaust then please speaketh upeth!!

From the look of the welding around the end of the pipe, I'd say someone has home-bodged a "motogp" pipe.

It looks like the bead of the weld will prevent a slip on can going over the pipe (with clamp).

Worth bolting it on and seeing what it's like.

On first glance you'd think that someone has 'just had a go' at it in a vain attempt to make a legal slash pipe, but if I were to tell you that the system is 'new old stock' that might just change things a little. The finish of the system is pretty darned good, except that it has no way of attaching a silencer and has an ugly weld holding what looks to be some sort of baffle?

I'm wondering if that snotty weld is just meant to be temporary, so you could perhaps knock it out for track use?

My other thought is if an individual was making a home brewed motogp style race exhaust for a Steelie where would they have got a larger than standard bore set of downpipes that have an exit of 60mm+ ?

Yup this is a perfectly normal mid-90's micron system, the link pipe baffle is standard fitment. Micron 'race' systems at the time came with a choice of can (alu, carbon) and were attached with a glorified jubilee clip that they called and exhaust clamp. All together a little bit crap tbh, and way behind anything the yanks where doing at the time.

HTH

Eh Voila !

micron.jpg

Edited for cheesy pic.

Yup this is a perfectly normal mid-90's micron system, the link pipe baffle is standard fitment. Micron 'race' systems at the time came with a choice of can (alu, carbon) and were attached with a glorified jubilee clip that they called and exhaust clamp. All together a little bit crap tbh, and way behind anything the yanks where doing at the time.

HTH

Eh Voila !

micron.jpg

Edited for cheesy pic.

Was it just a way of keeping the overall size of the can down then?

I have a Micron 4-2-1 on my 86 slabby and that has the baffled link pipe too. It can be a pain finding a can to fit due to the diameter of the link pipe. The one i have fitted is their universal race can with a MPUN code stamped on it. I guess they made one size can and just made up different mounting brackets for each bike. They also did a universal road legal can stamped MP41. Have a trawl on ebay and something should turn up thats suitable then fabricate your own mounting bracket.

Edit. Ive had a quick scout on ebay and theres a few on there so a can shouldnt be hard to obtain. Just get conformation of the dia of the entry pipe and away you go!

*Cough

I was going to suggest that it may be a Remus system, until you mentioned the Micron instructions.

Anyway.

I may be your saviour, and yes, you can touch me.

If you need a silencer, then I have a Micron race item for a Transalp of 1999 vintage.

Now the bad news.

It's not light, despite being aluminium.

It has a slotted hanger mount on the back, so you'd need to make a hanger strap up.

Good news.

It might slot straight onto your end (sailor) let me know the i/d if you're interested.

It isn't perfect; it needs the rubber sealing ring replacing around the end cap, but I know these are available. It's also been stood in a shed since I sold the bike in 2000. I was saving it for use on my TR1, but I can see a potential good cause here.

HTH

Eh Voila !

micron.jpg

Edited for cheesy pic.

I knew one of the older generation members would have the answer :P

Anyhoo, is it worth me keeping hold of the system and using it or am I best off looking for an alternative?

If you need a silencer, then I have a Micron race item for a Transalp of 1999 vintage.

Now the bad news.

It's not light, despite being aluminium.

It has a slotted hanger mount on the back, so you'd need to make a hanger strap up.

Good news.

It might slot straight onto your end (sailor) let me know the i/d if you're interested.

Cheers for the offer Tom, but I already have a Micron end can kicking around in my garage, and you're right, they're not what you could call featherweight :pbtwerplr3:

Archived