titanium tube

rammer

hi

ive been searching for a supplier of pre bent titanium tube with no luck,plenty of places have mild/stainless bends.

this is for an exhaust system and needs to be around 1mm wall x 1.75" and 2" diameter, i need either 90deg or 180 deg short radius bends.

does anyone know of a supplier???

cheers

rammer

hi

ive been searching for a supplier of pre bent titanium tube with no luck,plenty of places have mild/stainless bends.

this is for an exhaust system and needs to be around 1mm wall x 1.75" and 2" diameter, i need either 90deg or 180 deg short radius bends.

does anyone know of a supplier???

cheers

rammer

Are you gonna be welding it yourself?

Are you gonna be welding it yourself?

Weldings one thing, getting hold of some welding rods at sensible money is another. I was quoted £400 for a box a few months ago, if anyone knows where you can by smaller quantities, that would be useful.

Weldings one thing, getting hold of some welding rods at sensible money is another. I was quoted £400 for a box a few months ago, if anyone knows where you can by smaller quantities, that would be useful.

im in new zealand ,no worries getting the filler rods here,the supplier will sell individual rods( at $7 nz each),a box would last forever and you would still only have the one size,try titanium joe in the states,they sell filler rod by weight and may sell them individually?

welding ti is not as easy as other materials ,but once you get it sorted its good as gold

i bought some scrap offcuts to practice on,and must admit that the first attempts were a disaster!!!

cheers

I was given to understand that the main difficulty is to make sure the entire weld is bathed in argon until it has cooled. This means making a chamber that you can work inside and flooding it full of argon or constructing elaborate nozzle arrangements.

I was given to understand that the main difficulty is to make sure the entire weld is bathed in argon until it has cooled. This means making a chamber that you can work inside and flooding it full of argon or constructing elaborate nozzle arrangements.

^Yup. Zak's right too.

You can use a 3/4" bore gas lens (ceramic) on the torch to allow a greater flood of Argon onto the weld, or use a trailing cup clamped to the ceramic.

The back of the weld, if not purged, will oxidise and attract contaminants, and the Argon must be pure.

It's a lot of faffing about!

Make your own! Guillotine some thin strips off a scrap piece of Ti sheet.

Make your own! Guillotine some thin strips off a scrap piece of Ti sheet.

Saw this on a bodywork DVD, although with ally. Surely it makes for a much better filler rod if it's the same material?

Archived