Quiet at the back!

jimjambandit

morning....So maybe I'm getting old, but the Akras on my 640 Supermoto are extremely loud. It came with the baffles out when I bought it and I've never heard it with them in so I'm thinking I might pop the baffles back in see if it's appreciably quieter, so my questions is whether this will affect the fuelling. Anyone got any ideas?

I too have akras on my 625, and they are silly loud. But I found putting the baffles in didnt really make much difference to the noise, and it did definately affect the accelleration. So they are now out again.

Andy

Stick them in and try I suppose. I found that putting the baffles in on my fake rc45 made it much quieter, but took a bit of an edge off the acceleration, and wierdly, made it run much warmer.

Stick them in and try I suppose. I found that putting the baffles in on my fake rc45 made it much quieter, but took a bit of an edge off the acceleration, and wierdly, made it run much warmer.

I honesty wish that was the case with mine, because I'll be the first to admit they are excessively loud, and I have already tried re-packing them. The baffles just changed the note of the exhaust from a really low thump to a slightly higher thump, it wasnt really any quieter.

Ive just come to the conclusion if you put a competition exhaust on a big thumper, its gonna be noisy!

Andy

Thanks fellas, I'd heard someone say they weren't substantially quieter with the baffles so that, plus I can't quite work out how they actually go back in means I don't think I'll bother.

Hendo, just out of interest do the baffles go back in and get screwed into position or are they a tight enough fit that they just slide in. The have a hex screw on the bottom but if I were to slide the baffle into position widest 'tea strainer' end first then the screw is never going to align with the hole...am i missing something here?

Thanks fellas, I'd heard someone say they weren't substantially quieter with the baffles so that, plus I can't quite work out how they actually go back in means I don't think I'll bother.

Hendo, just out of interest do the baffles go back in and get screwed into position or are they a tight enough fit that they just slide in. The have a hex screw on the bottom but if I were to slide the baffle into position widest 'tea strainer' end first then the screw is never going to align with the hole...am i missing something here?

Im not entirely sure what you mean? Can you post a picture up? The baffles go in narrow end first so that when they are fully in they are flush with the end of the can.

But yes to both questions, you bolt them in, although mine were so tight I had to hammer them in, then to get them out I had to take the can off, and using a 5' length of 2" bar I had to knock them out from the inside (not good on a £600 pair of cans!). I took the grinder to the baffles to make them a slightly looser fit.

Is your the twin pipe model?

Andy

Archived