R1 Brake Caliper Cleaning

paul8899

there is no socet avalible,just use a good flat chisle and big copper hammer,but be carfull! :eusa_pray:

A cool way of ensuring that you don't knacker the anodising, is to insert a finger between the flange and the chisel. Much more satisfying that the traditional thumb and hammer :icon_salut:

Hello,

does anyone know the part number or where to get a socket to remove the blue plugs from the calipers on my R1 ?

Thanks

I dont thnk your ment to undo those

The pistons should come out the middle

Push one out at a time :eusa_dance:

There is a tool available. I've seen em on ebay.

I've never bothered. I just give em a good clean every time I change the pads.

Wacky left-field thinking mode: Cover the inside of the little kinda star shaped bit with parcel tape. Fill both the star bit on the caliper and a socket with epoxy, fucking loads of it, and stick the 2 together. Let the epoxy set. Bingo, you've got a socket that undos the blue starry bits as the parcel tape will stop the epoxy sticking to the brakes. Go on, try it, I bet it'll work.

Do the plugs actually screw out, though ? When I had the gold spots on my EXUP, it looked as if there was a ridge that would stop them unscrewing.

Unless they screw inwards on a l/h thread.I never attempted it because my calipers were spot on.

Yeah the star bits do unscrew.I had a set of blue spots given to me that were trashed and me being curious got a dot punch and just worked it round.Sorry i cant remember if its left or right thread though!i'll have a dig round the workshop as im sure its still around.

made a socket today at work , dont know why your not supposed to take em out though, they are only a threaded plug with an o ring on.

Makes it a lot easier to get the seals out , they are a r/h thread

True, but it'd be much easier if you could just take the back off them and puch the pistons out, wouldn't it.

Yeah i have to agree with that, if it was simple to do, with no chance of damaging the bungs then it would be better.

I'm just going to say that you don't need to be scared of the pistons coming out (not you in particular Lorenzo, this is general info), its good to clean them once a year i would say, if your carefull you can pop out the dust seals and clean in behind them too, this is in my experience what causes pistons to drag (get stuck).

They bleed quite easily, just make sure you bleed them with the pistons all the way in, then pump out and re-blead, then push them all the way home and seat them against the discs.

You may need to repeat this process a few times.

Hello,

does anyone know the part number or where to get a socket to remove the blue plugs from the calipers on my R1 ?

Thanks

I checked the genuine yam factory manaul today and it clearly says not to take the blue star plugs out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why i dont know

I checked the genuine yam factory manaul today and it clearly says not to take the blue star plugs out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why i dont know

I read the same manual, I had already stripped them out by then though !!

I have put the calipers back together and bled them through , no leaks from the caps :)

Archived