Repairing Ignition Coil

southwestbiker

Just wondering if it was possible really.

After riding the bike in some awful weather recently, she decided to stop firing on 2 cylinders.

I checked the downpipes and its the middle two that arent heating up, so this ties in with the coil being buggered.

Im gunna swap them round at the weekend just to check, but if it is a knackered coil, is there much i can do about it?

Been looking on the bay, and well, i could do with not forking out for some replacements, so hoping if i spend time rather than money on it, i can get it repaired

Oh, its a 96 SRAD 750.

ta,

Just wondering if it was possible really.

After riding the bike in some awful weather recently, she decided to stop firing on 2 cylinders.

I checked the downpipes and its the middle two that arent heating up, so this ties in with the coil being buggered.

Im gunna swap them round at the weekend just to check, but if it is a knackered coil, is there much i can do about it?

Been looking on the bay, and well, i could do with not forking out for some replacements, so hoping if i spend time rather than money on it, i can get it repaired

Oh, its a 96 SRAD 750.

ta,

Hi SWB

Bottom coil is for the inboard cylinders.

Primary resistance 2.3 to 3.3 ohms.

Secondary res. (with plug leads and caps fitted) 30 to 40 K-ohms

Any deviation from this means unfortunately replace

cheers Keith

Nice one Keith, cheers!

Whats the best way to check this ( please excuse me, im really bad with electrics )

I take it i need a multimeter?

Do i take it I set it to show resistance, and then put the pins on the input and the output and check the reading? Is this a case of just removing it and pulling the wires out, or shall i leave them in?

Sorry, probably an obvious one, but as i said before, electrics really aren't my cup of tea!

Check the prices...a Kawasaki one may be cheaper (look for ZX9R 1998 on). If you need dimensions ask.

I looked over xmas at a cheap source...if your lucky CBR6RR ones may fit, which are available at half the price.

We really, really need to find a list of car fitments though...these are available properly cheap.

Thats brilliant, cheers for all the advice.

I'll have a proper look this weekend and see if i can see anything wrong, and try running a multimeter over it,otherwise ill be sending you a PM evilchicken.

Cheers!

PS - just to double check, the output wires from each coil don't have to be secured in a special way do they? Mine appear to just be pushed into the hole about an inch. There all like this so i assumed it wasnt an issue, but is there anything i should be looking at there, cleaning up connections etc?

Think I have found the problem, hopefully anyway.

Took the tank off on Sunday to check the condition of the wires/connetions, and noticed the bottom coil ( the one for the problematic cylinders 2 and 3 ) wasnt attached properally to the frame. The coil is fasetned on 2" metal tubes onto the frame, but the front one appears to have come undone and jiggled loose, leaving the front half of thhe coil unconnected from the frame. Does anyone know if the connection is needed for the coil to work. I am hoping it is an earth issue, but this might just be wishfull thinking.

Anyone know if thats the case?

If its the big square post that comes out of the coil then yeah thats the earth. It needs to be corrosion free to get a good contact too. That should solve your problem though! Cheaper than a new coil too

Archived