Fuel tank for 92 fireblade

pb7r

I am looking for a 92-94 vintage fuel tank for a fireblade and rapidly finding out that they're hard to come by i.e. pricey, dented or full of rust. Lots of good 95 onwards ones at reasonable prices though.

Question: Does anyone know whether other than modifying the two headstock clamps on a post 95 tank to a single as on 92-94 will it fit without further modificatioin? Anyone done this before?

Do you mean by drilling a hole in between the two, should work. How does the rear fit on yours? Just one point on there also?

When I was after a tank for a 97 blade, all I could find was ones for the first blade. Although most tanks that end up on ebay seem to have damage one way or another.

Do you mean by drilling a hole in between the two, should work. How does the rear fit on yours? Just one point on there also?

When I was after a tank for a 97 blade, all I could find was ones for the first blade. Although most tanks that end up on ebay seem to have damage one way or another.

Thanks for reply. I suppose I was working on the basis that mk1 and mk2 blades had identical tanks except for front mount. Probably, a little hopeful. But you never know. As for drilling was thinking of shortening the two existing mounts then weld a plate between the two with a hole in the middle. Want to avoid welding onto fuel holding bit of tank if I can. At the rear just one point

The reason I need to replace it is that existing tank has rusted right thru from inside. Fine on the outside. Rust is only at lowest point all around the tap hole. I have enquired a few places to repair but as expected its not cheap. I am trying to avoid finding £450 for new one from Honda.

Thanks for reply. I suppose I was working on the basis that mk1 and mk2 blades had identical tanks except for front mount. Probably, a little hopeful. But you never know. As for drilling was thinking of shortening the two existing mounts then weld a plate between the two with a hole in the middle. Want to avoid welding onto fuel holding bit of tank if I can. At the rear just one point

The reason I need to replace it is that existing tank has rusted right thru from inside. Fine on the outside. Rust is only at lowest point all around the tap hole. I have enquired a few places to repair but as expected its not cheap. I am trying to avoid finding £450 for new one from Honda.

Why dont you give dave silver spares a try, he is good for all things Honda.

thanks.

Dave Silvers wanted £440. I have heard Frosts product can after a period of time flake off and once you've treated it once thats it apparantly not something you can do again. I'll keep looking for decent 2nd hand one but trying to get quotes from classic bike restorers who will be able to weld a new plate and treat old rust, to my existing one.l

• 4 weeks later...

Archived