Carb problems

DAMO666

My FZR1000 isn't running at tickover on cylinders 1 and 2, the downpipes are barely warm, it's definitely a fuel problem. I can cover the carb intake on either 3 or 4 and the engine will stall do it on 1 or 2 and revs rise slightly. I've had the float bowls off carbs 1 and 2 and everything is clean used an air line and its all clear, i was wondering if the pilot screws control tickover, the manual says 2.5 turns and thats what they are set at, other than that could the balancing be a mile out?

Advice please!

check plugs, leads and coils?

Is there any history to this problem?

Was it working OK for years and then suddenly went wrong or have you only just got the bike?

Without knowing that, the usual suspects... Blocked or partially blocked pilots, broken tips on pilot screws, badly out of sync butterflies, leaking carb rubbers, stuff of that nature.

I had a nightmare like this, it turned out the float had split so wasnt letting fuel in properly into the float bowl. Stripped the carbs quite a few times until I eventually noticed a tiny amount of fuel sloshing about inside the plastic float.

Just sounds like a real in detail check of everything

1. Float bowls (like fatman said)

2. The rubber seals (Carb to cylinder)

3. Vacuum holes! (I had an air leak here!)

:unsure:

Doesn't sound like a problem from the plugs or leads but always worth a check eh? :sFun_doh2:

You're sure the idle jets are clear??spray some WD40 into the intakes on #1&2 as its running-doubt its electrical as it'd probably be 1&4 or 2&3.Often its gack fuel on 1&2 where it sits on the sidestand.

i agree try wd-40 . or give her a few shots of carb cleaner . but a said dont thing its a spark prob . how long have you got the bike . did you drain the carb bowels . are the floats set correctly .

I bought the bike as a non runner, turned out to be the valve clearances, so i know the clearance and compression are ok. The carbs are a secondhand set off cuban pete, i gave them a good clean and swapped the jets over from the original set. I needed to replace the carbs because i broke the body of the original set trying to remove the tops to check the circlip position on the needle. I have since swapped the rubbers from 3 + 4 and replaced the floats with the ones from the original set, still the same. I have squirted easy start through carb 1 whilst running and the downpipe gets hot. Could it be that 1 + 2 are a mile out to 3 + 4 on the butterflys?

I have a similar thing before it was a air leak on the little rubber grommets that cover the spigots to attach the carb balance pipes too. Took me ages and about £70 to find this out and fixed it by working clear silicone into the little cracks in the rubbers.... :(

there is a quick check you can make while the carbs are off , look at the relative position of the butterfly's they should obviously all be about the same , there is usually a small drilling or two you can line them up with , it's suprising how close you can get doing this method . after that check the fuel levels , bit of clear pipe on the carb drain held against the carb body compare the working to the non working , also if it has been run with tight valves it may have damaged the seats , compression may be reasonable but you may get a resulting low vacuum in the manifold and the same symptoms . silly question , plug leads the right way round ?

Yes the carb balancing could be a mile out. May as well check it.

What's it like at higher revs? If 1 and 2 don't cut in, I'd check the fuel supply to those carbs.

If they do, I'd check the pilot and slow air jets.

I've balanced carbs (iffy balance, but done it all the same and it was an improvement) by eye using a the little holes in the bottom of the carb. I've also heard of people using a tiny little drill bit or something, about 1mm to set them all up too. Certainly you should be able to do it by eye to a level where it's good enough.

Yes the carb balancing could be a mile out. May as well check it.

What's it like at higher revs? If 1 and 2 don't cut in, I'd check the fuel supply to those carbs.

If they do, I'd check the pilot and slow air jets.

Yes it does run on 1 + 2 above about 3000rpm, and yes the plug leads are right and i have a spark at the plugs. Think i will have a look at the butterfly position tonight.

I would point at the pilots then...but you have a spare set in the other carbs, as long as they are not blocked.

Balancing them would help though.

Had something similar happen to an '89 FZR exup I rebuilt last year. It turned out to be (after weeks of faffing about) that the little O rings that seal the base of the main jet pedestals were leaking on two cylinders which was enough to stop two cylinders firing at tickover but once on the move the engine ran as it should. The seals looked ok but just didnt work.

Give these a try but get the O rings from Yamaha as I first tried some non OE seals and they made no difference at all.

Archived